How do you get into the aquarium business?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
The title basically says it all. How can I get into a business of taking care of aquariums and fish salt or fresh? Is there schooling I can take? (Other then marine biology). What is the best route in doing this. Where should I go to look for this. Please give me your advice!

If you have a good sense of fish keeping and aquarium upkeep, get yourself connected with a local store or 2 as their maintainence person. If you don't know all the fish, their habits (temperment, compatabiliity, etc) and requirements, or have a full knowledge of aquarium systems and how they work, I suggest you try to get a job at a LFS ( Mom & Pop type, not Big Box type) and learn them before you try to be on your own. The fastest way out of the fish biz is to not know what you are doing. That will cost you credibility, customers and cash. Most maintainence people don' t make it past their first tank wipeout with a customer. The customer will usually tell everyone he/she can about your ineptness. That doesn't bode well for the future. I spent over 40 years in the fish biz. I believe I've heard it all ;)

Hope this helps.

You could always apply to ATM/Tanked for a job. You don't seem to need any qualifications. Cleaning some of their tanks might be tricky though!!!

You also have to be business smart. Learn some accounting, marketing/sales, and finance. Knowing marine biology is helpful at first, but knowing business is more important later on. Study business while learning the profession. If you end up getting your small business up and running with profitibiliy, then you might end up hiring people to do the work while you shift more of your focus on the business side of things (although this is rare).

Do you mind getting me a link where I can apply?
I was only joking!!. They are not too popular around here because of the tanks that they build and mainly for there stocking habits.
You could start a little breeding program and sell the fry. It won't make you rich but would be good experience.
Here is the link to their web site. You could always contact them. They are based in Vegas......

Acrylic Tank Manufacturing | Acrylic Tank Manufacturers

Back
Top Bottom