How do you remove letters from Jersey? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last year I bought James a Supercross jersey. Since we go to Supercross every year and he races (not in Supercross, but in local competition), I put his name and number on the back of the jersey. When I was ironing on the letters, the instructions said to remove the padding on the ironing board. Well, needless to say, bad idea. Parts of the letters melted and other parts didn't adhear to the material. It has been a year of wear and tear and most of the letters and numbers are falling off. So, I sat down today and pulled as much as I could off of the material. Not all of it would come off though. I tried steaming the letters to warm them, hoping that the letters would be able to be scraped off the material. It has worked on some of them, but not all.

My question, how can I get the remaining letters and numbers off of the jersey? It is 100% Polyster, like most jersey's are. The letters are the iron on kind. I am at wits end with this thing. He is going to kill me if I can't get the rest of the letters off. He wants me to put new ones on (without removing the ironing board pad) and hopefully they will look better. But, I can't do this if pieces of the old letters and numbers are still stuck to the jersey. Please HELP!

maybe try some of the stuff that is made to get sticky-ness (like gum) off of clothing?

that's about all i can think of. good luck!!

I'm going to try to find something like that. I've managed to get most of it off, with the exception to about 1/3 of two of the letters and a little bit of each of the 2 numbers. The problem that I'm coming across now is that some of the coloring is coming off. That's why I'm hesitant about using a chemical on the jersey. I don't want any of the coloring to come off of it, more than it already has.

I would avoid ANY type of blade!!! you will cut the fabric... I like Tank Girls suggestion... try a hair dryer... and what about taking it to the cleaners? they are REALLY good at removing some really nasty stuff....
at least then, if it gets ruined, its not your fault! 8)

I hate to ruin it because those things are expensive. I tried steaming it and that seemed to work for awhile. I'll definately try the hair dryer when I get home.

Melody said:
I would avoid ANY type of blade!!! you will cut the fabric... I like Tank Girls suggestion... try a hair dryer... and what about taking it to the cleaners? they are REALLY good at removing some really nasty stuff....
at least then, if it gets ruined, its not your fault! 8)

I would politely disagree.

a shaving razor won't cut the fabric if your careful, People use them all the time on fabric to get the fuzz and the fuzzballs off.

Would probably atleast aid in the removing of those letters, to.

Thanks all of you. I'll give both of them a try this weekend.

It really is true, you can come to AA for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom