Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you Teach Others About Fishkeeping?

Part of the fun (but also aggravation) is researching to see what you can and can't do. I'm still new to the aquarium world but have learned so much! I love being able to teach my kids about water testing and water changes and why/when they need done.
My daughter (9yo) is currently planning what she wants when I allow her to upgrade. We have gone in the store and looked at the fish. She's pointed out the ones she likes, writes them down, then we go home and research them. She thinks guppies are so pretty, but knows that they breed like crazy so she doesn't want them cuz then she won't be able to have a variety. She LOVES the electric yellow lab (wants to name it Pineapple and get a Spongebob house decoration for it) but knows they require a bigger tank and will probably have to wait awhile.
She has asked questions at the lfs, that I encourage her to then research at home. She had found that sometimes the answers are good and sometimes not so good. The most outstanding not so good answer was that a 1 gal would only require a water change about 2x a month. SHE corrected the store worker on that one! Asking him how she would keep the (what is it mom? The one that turns yellow or green?) ammonia down with so few water changes? He was bright red after being corrected by a child.
Anyway, how do you teach your children, family or friends about your hobby?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha that's pretty great!! Sure showed that LFS guy lol I teach my friends about the importance about cycling a tank, and choosing the stock appropriately

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomus View Post
Part of the fun (but also aggravation) is researching to see what you can and can't do. I'm still new to the aquarium world but have learned so much! I love being able to teach my kids about water testing and water changes and why/when they need done.
My daughter (9yo) is currently planning what she wants when I allow her to upgrade. We have gone in the store and looked at the fish. She's pointed out the ones she likes, writes them down, then we go home and research them. She thinks guppies are so pretty, but knows that they breed like crazy so she doesn't want them cuz then she won't be able to have a variety. She LOVES the electric yellow lab (wants to name it Pineapple and get a Spongebob house decoration for it) but knows they require a bigger tank and will probably have to wait awhile.
She has asked questions at the lfs, that I encourage her to then research at home. She had found that sometimes the answers are good and sometimes not so good. The most outstanding not so good answer was that a 1 gal would only require a water change about 2x a month. SHE corrected the store worker on that one! Asking him how she would keep the (what is it mom? The one that turns yellow or green?) ammonia down with so few water changes? He was bright red after being corrected by a child.
Anyway, how do you teach your children, family or friends about your hobby?
I would personally show them your tanks, and if they actually care about the fish, they should ask questions on their own. When you answer some questions, you can start to immerse them in the Aqua-World. (That means teach 'em about the aquarium business )

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im a teen and my dad is way too stubborn to listen to me. He doesnt believe in the whole bacteria idea...
Recently he saw a 10 gallon with three goldfish and said that i'm understocked. He also asked the friend how often she changed the water and she responded saying once per month. My dad also says i waste my time changing water weekly.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

teaching people is easy. i see something wrong and bother them about it till they fix it(i dont think fishstore staff like me very much lol). my family always goes"get this fish" to every prettty fish they see. they dont that theyy arent compatible,my tanks arent big enough,etc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com