Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am incredibly attached to my fish. Whenever a betta passes on me, there is normally a good few days of mourning and all. That's actually how my boyfriend and I got so close. After our incredibly awful first date, I come back to my dorm and one of my rescues was dead. He stayed on the phone with me for five hours while I was in hysterics.

Even when one of my rainbows or danios jump, I get rather upset. I cry and am down all day. I had a bumble bee catfish that developed something bad and I was screaming and crying while I saw him suffer (put him down, of course).

I talk to my fish and have a pretty close connection. They all get lots of my time and energy. I would say I am very close to them. It is an obvious difference from how I am with my gecko. Although I can interact with him, he is not as aware of me as my fish are. Especially my flowerhorn. I almost feel like he talks to me.

Anyway, I'm going to be the crazy person who deals with fish deaths like they are humans. Guess that's why everyone calls me a crazy fish lady.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think everyone looks at it differently and that's great! Some people humanize them more than others.

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, I'm far from the worst of the crazy fish-keepers.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do u put a fish down
Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

An Overview of Euthanasia
Old 11-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I definitely get sad. More for some, than others. I was really upset a week or so back. I lost 5 fish from 3 tanks in only a few days, including my betta.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I guess I would say I get a little sad but mad at myself, thinking what have I done wrong? Or what could I have done to prevent this? All these things and more go through my mind.
This is what happens to me
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #38

Well I would say extremely because when any of my fish die I cry for 30 minutes
Old 11-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some fish just pass without much more than a sigh and goodbye, but when I came home from school and my mom told me that our gold koi had been killed (not even eaten) by a heron I was choking on the tears.That fish would come up to greet me every time I passed the pond, bump my hand when I rearranged plants, but hide from any guest I brought over. None of the other fish are quite as personable as he was, and I miss that.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes a situation can be really upsetting, even if there wasn't really an emotional attachment. A few days ago I had a dwarf frog caught in a filter intake tube. It was really bad. The frog could not be saved. That was pretty darn hard for me. I wasn't emotionally attached to the frog, but he went through a rather unpleasant ordeal that ended in it's death, so I felt much sorrow for the poor lil guy. Hopefully I can save some other froggies from the same fate, as going foward I will always recommend a sponge filter for ADF's.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com