Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How interconnected are most LFS tank water systems?

Was at the local LFS and saw a bunch of dead bumblebee gobies in one tank. Looked like something bacterial... Very disappointing... started looking around the other tanks, didn't see anything obvious. If there's one really bad tank at an LFS, does that mean all will be bad eventually, either by shared water or by using nets, etc. among all the tanks?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's possible. Most systems are on common filtration, water source, etc. It's possible that the gobies came in with whatever took them out and that it won't spread past that tank due to UV, system being prophylactically medicated, etc. Did you bring it to their attention. The less time in there the better.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I let them know as I left. Was going to be a quick in and out after picking up some rock for a tank... good thing I wasn't there to buy fish.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

it really depends on the lfs. they all set theirs up differently. i seen some where the whole store are on the same system. i seen where they have section by section. i also seen some that had some not connected. personally i wouldnt want to risk it. this is why you always qt your fish you get. never know whats floating around in there.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
My LFS has all fw on one system, and all sw on anouther. The store I really like in Eugene has all individual tanks, each on thier own filtration. The store is basically a bunch of racks and tanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think this place probably does go section by section, they have several free-standing sections surrounded by a long wall of tanks, and it was on the wall where I saw the dead fish. Come to think of it, I've never bought fish from the wall tanks. Oh well, pays to look CLOSELY.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fav lfs has each tank on a separate system. I like that. When they have even one sick fish in a tank they will not sell any fish from that tank! That is so awesome and why I go there the most. They really care about selling you healthy fish.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went there again today as their sale is still on... didn't get any fish though. It was like a disease identification clinic in there. The cherry barb tank was 100% ick. Another tank was overridden with planaria (at least now I know what they look like for sure). So that put me off the fish buying for awhile. But I did find that many of their tanks just use individual Aquaclear units (and ones a good bit larger than spec for the tank), so I guess they're not all connected.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

well filters often over rate the filter size so at least they know enough to put ones on larger then what they claim.

Tags
lfs, stem, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com