How long after starting tank did u start thinking about another tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty new at SW, but my tank is cycled, amm=0, Trites=0, trates=10, pH 8.0. I'm happy with that. I have an angelfish, cleaner shrimp(who just molted first time yesterday!!), bangaii card, green chromis, starry blenny. They seem happy. My sun coral has even eaten 2days in row. But I keep going to the fish stores (several) and "looking". I'm not even done with this tank and I'm already thinking about another tank I could do!! And I'm only 2 months into SW!! Lol

Is it just me? So how long did it take you to start thinking of next tank after starting one?

That is a interesting question. For myself I was given a 10g tank as a birthday present from my parents when I was 7, the next tank did not come until I was 20 and now 31 years since my very first 10g I have between 20-30 tanks running at any given time with anywhere from 800-1100g of water. The funny thing is my mom still apologizes to my wife for starting my 'addiction" as she calls it all those years ago.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
That is a interesting question. For myself I was given a 10g tank as a birthday present from my parents when I was 7, the next tank did not come until I was 20 and now 31 years since my very first 10g I have between 20-30 tanks running at any given time with anywhere from 800-1100g of water. The funny thing is my mom still apologizes to my wife for starting my 'addiction" as she calls it all those years ago.

That's too funny lol. Everytime I finish scaping a new tank I'm ready for the next one :)

Well late last year I bought myself a little ten gallon. June this year bought myself a 30 gallon and then I've started planning for a 55g and a 30g.

Yeah my 6th birthday present was a 5 gallon. I would have never wanted another tank, but then I got old enough to know about bioload, stocking, etc. And then I realized I couldn't have all the fish I wanted in that tiny tank. (I wanted tiger barbs so bad) And so now 7 years later I picked up a cheap 30 gallon tank and stand and it will definitely have tiger barbs in it!

I have went from 1 tank to 9 sense Easter of this year, lol. When I first started I had 3 tanks fish in cycle all at once. Now when I start a new one I have so many that I can take enough filter media and decorations out of a cycled tank I don't even have to cycle them I just start a new one. I just set up a new 20 long yesterday lol and planning a 60 gallon salt water

Yeah my 6th birthday present was a 5 gallon. I would have never wanted another tank, but then I got old enough to know about bioload, stocking, etc. And then I realized I couldn't have all the fish I wanted in that tiny tank. (I wanted tiger barbs so bad) And so now 7 years later I picked up a cheap 30 gallon tank and stand and it will definitely have tiger barbs in it! And I would have never wanted another tank after that 30......but then I discovered African Cichlids. So I am now trying to get a 75 gallon also.

After being out of the hobby for a very long time, I set up a 55 FW planted style tank. I was about 3/4s of the way done setting that 55 up and decided I wanted at least one more, a more marine style tank, but not real SW.

I just set that second one up today (about a month after starting the 55) and filled it. I like it. Two totally different looks.

Well we started with a 10 gallon tank with mollies to help keep our cat entertained and she loved it!
Then before we moved someone offered to trade us our 10g set up for there 29g set up with stand! So how could we say no?
After letting the 29 cycle and add fish we checked the local craigslist (Just moved out here thinking even though we didnt have jobs at the time we had a few months rent saved up so....)we got a 55 for a screaming deal. Then while checking out our LFS we saw our first Dwarf and Figure 8 puffers and fell in love.... so we bought a 10g, and a 5g for breeding snails for him!
Now that our 55 is looking like its done cycling we're saving up for another/ trying to upgrade our 29 and checking out some of these double decker aquarium stands.... hopefully upgrading the 29 to a 40 within the month.

Total elapsed time 3.5 months LOL

I got my first tank when I was around 7 or 8, and that one tank was the hard limit until I moved out. I got a 20 gallon when I moved into my first apartment, then a couple weeks later I picked up a 5 gallon. And I pulled my 1.5 out again for a betta (too small, I know). I immediately wanted more tanks but I had nowhere to put one. Then a couple years later, in a new apartment, my wonderful boyfriend got me a 30 gallon for my birthday last year. And this year I upgraded that first 20 gallon to a 56 gallon column. And you can bet that I'm toying with setting that now empty 20 back up again at some point...

Back
Top Bottom