How long did it take YOU to get MTS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanting to see how long it took until you caught the bug and bought your next tank!
For me, i got my first tank (29 gal) in May 2011, then i got my next tank (20 tall) for breeding in February 2012! Now in 2013, i have 6 tanks!

I got my first tank may 19,2012. It was a 10 gallon which I'm now using as a QT. Then in January I got a 36 bowfront which is now housing my Malawi cichlids. A few weeks ago I got a 20h and moved what was previously in the 10 into there. I think I'm getting a 55 in the next 6 months.

3-4 months, maybe. It's a reef (ok, that's a bit of a stretch, I only have a little zoa colony in there with my fishes) my first is a reef, I mean.

Lets see. I got my first tank for my birthday, a 16 gallon bow front (2009). And it took until last january (2012) for me to get into the swing of things ( note i didn't find AA until The end of january 2012) I got a 55 gallon with everything (and a free 30 gallon just the tank) and from then on i went crazy. I now have set up
55g
30g
20g
10g
10g
And i have a
16 bow front
10g
5.5 g
In my closet waiting for their turn!

Lets see. I got my first tank for my birthday, a 16 gallon bow front (2009). And it took until last january (2012) for me to get into the swing of things ( note i didn't find AA until The end of january 2012) I got a 55 gallon with everything (and a free 30 gallon just the tank) and from then on i went crazy. I now have set up 55g 30g 20g 10g 10g And i have a 16 bow front 10g 5.5 g In my closet waiting for their turn!
Wow that was a pretty long time at first, but glad you got the swing of things! You upgraded like crazy after you started on this website!

Wow that was a pretty long time at first, but glad you got the swing of things! You upgraded like crazy after you started on this website!

Yeah , and then i caught the pleco disease -_-

img_2670049_0_76095c8b8de1e3ce9b9d055d2ff1cf05.jpg

Cool! I'm just about to catch that bug too! I'm hoping to start breeding them!

They are a ton of fun! Right now i have an albino bnp pair, and hopefully a regular brown bnp pair, and a female calico

About 2 weeks.
I mean, my family has always had multiple tanks going, but when I got one that was actually my own, I found it to be too small for everything I wanted within a week and upgraded thanks to Craigslist the next week. Now a few years later I've got somewhere around 15-20 running

Sweet! Hopefully i can have success with them!

And that is pretty awesome! How long is a few years? Do you take care of all of them yourself?

I got my first tank may 19,2012. It was a 10 gallon which I'm now using as a QT. Then in January I got a 36 bowfront which is now housing my Malawi cichlids. A few weeks ago I got a 20h and moved what was previously in the 10 into there. I think I'm getting a 55 in the next 6 months.

Dude may 19 was my birth day! It took me 7 months to get my next tank, my mom hated my 10g proved we I could tank care of it, then bam, 25 and 45

Dude may 19 was my birth day! It took me 7 months to get my next tank, my mom hated my 10g proved we I could tank care of it, then bam, 25 and 45
Nice! I feel your pain with the parent thing! My parents are telling me that i can't have any more tanks now, but hopefully i'll be able to get another one past them at some point ;)!

When I got back into the hobby a year or so ago, I started with a 29 and within a few months I had more. Now I am up to about 15 tanks. One 55g houses my mother's goldfish that she got for a water garden (they have to be overwintered in the house because the water feature will freeze). She and my dad help me change the 55's because the one houses her fish! But I am 36 and tank care of all the rest myself.

I started with a 29g a few years ago. Due to my lack of knowledge and complete failure with fish because of it I gave up for approx 2 years. I decided to give it 1 last try back in december at which time I set my 29g back up. I traded that in for a 55g in march and since then I acquired a second 55g, 40g, 20h, and 6 10g tanks. I would say it happened in 4 months :)

I fell in love with a betta in 2007 and had him in a little .5 gallon bowl. The horror. Took me 3 days to get an eclipse system for him but the current was too strong for my betta so I *had* to get another tank. Didn't even think to return the eclipse. Lol. Two tanks by the end of the first week - only two since I don't count the bowl as a tank. Since then, I've placed the limit at three, though my three tanks mysteriously keep getting bigger and bigger. I'm hoping to get a custom 75 gallon to go the length of my office wall some day....only 12 inches high as I love betta fish and have to always have at least 1.

After a break from fish keeping for 20 years, I tentatively stuck my toes in and tested the waters with a 10g. The lady at the lfs said 2 pearlscale goldfish, 4 guppies and a bristlenose catfish would be great. :facepalm:
The BN was the lone survivor of my inexperience and bad advice :cry: he is still going strong, and is to blame for my pleco obsession. :lol:
I switched lfs, and went nuts with the credit card getting my boy the home he deserved. $850 later he had a 40g home with everything he needed and more :)
That was the start of mts for me. The more I learned about fish keeping, the better I was able to look after them, and the more I wanted to provide natural environments for them.
Having felt so bad for the original fish I inadvertently killed, I was determined not to cramp my fish and overcrowd my tanks.
So I got rid of my dining suite and replaced it with a 2nd hand 171g so I could get a couple of Gibbiceps. Then I bought a used 15g for a quarantine tank that came with a comet in it! So then I bought another 40g for the comet to move into. Then the bristlenose started breeding so I bought a used 46g. Then as the comet grew, I bought him a 74g. Then I got rid of some furniture in my lounge room so i could fit a 171g in there.
I literally do not have room for another tank. Not a display tank anyway, but I'm sure I could fit a couple of fry tanks in the open stands....

Back
Top Bottom