Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has it been since you set up your first tank?

I setup my 125g tank the beginning of this year but if you'll ask me when did I set up my first tank, I'll say 11 years ago. Would you believe I put a silver arowana in a 75g tank? It was 2.5' when it jumped out of te tank and died. Poor fish. Where I came from "cycling" involves 2 wheels. I didn't even know that there is such thing as aquarium heaters. I've had cichlids, oscars, pacu in their own 20g tanks. But still, too small...

Now I know now how to start(cycle) a tank and that I need to research before I buy any fish. Thanks to AA

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

My 10 gallon has been set up for about 3 months. Just finished the long and grueling fish in cycle. My first fish for it was a rainbow shark :face-palm: it got to about two inches before my cat got it. :double facepalm:

Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98
My 10 gallon has been set up for about 3 months. Just finished the long and grueling fish in cycle. My first fish for it was a rainbow shark :face-palm: it got to about two inches before my cat got it. :double facepalm:
At least you knew that you have to cycle your tank first. With my tanks back then I didn't cycle them nor check the water parameters and I did PWC only once a month. They didn't ask if your tank is cycled, how big. The LFS in the Philippines is just as bad or worse than the big chain stores...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Set my first tank up(with the help of my grandmother who has been keeping fish nearly 40 years now) about 13 years ago. Was 10 years old and she bought me a 10gal and let me decorate and stock it(with a little guidance).
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Set my first tank up(with the help of my grandmother who has been keeping fish nearly 40 years now) about 13 years ago. Was 10 years old and she bought me a 10gal and let me decorate and stock it(with a little guidance).
That's good to know that you had somebody that guided you and taught you how to set up your tank. I'm teaching my little brother the same thing. I got him a 33g, taught him about cycling and seeding and let him decorate and stock it Teaching him now how to use the API FW master test kit.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I had a bowl when I was a kid, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't my idea... so I consider my first tank to be June/July of 2009... a 55g with 15 or more goldfish and a common pleco... with a treasure chest bubbler and neon gravel.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I had a bowl when I was a kid, though I'm pretty sure it wasn't my idea... so I consider my first tank to be June/July of 2009... a 55g with 15 or more goldfish and a common pleco... with a treasure chest bubbler and neon gravel.
Do you still have those fishes? If I remember it right, you're not a fan of bubbles in the tank. Is it because you got tired of it with your treasure chest bubbler?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

nah, i just learned how to make tanks look more natural... not to mention I thought you had to have that stuff. I dont like bubbles for tons of reasons, but none are related to that.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
nah, i just learned how to make tanks look more natural... not to mention I thought you had to have that stuff. I dont like bubbles for tons of reasons, but none are related to that.
I also thought that you need bubbles in your tank. When I read your post about not liking the bubbles and that it doesn't look natural, I got rid of all my air pumps. Lol. And I'll say that it does look more natural
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Been about two months for me since I set up my 10G. Then migrated to 29G.

Knew nothing about fishkeeping three months ago. Been a crash course.

Tags
first tank, long, set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com