How many pet stores in your city and your cities population?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering what the "pet store per capita" was in your city. we have 207,200 people in our city (dont laugh this is the largest city in saskatchewan and saskatchewan can fit more than one state into it probably like 4 or 5 average sized states into it alone :p anyways back on topic :roll: ) we have a total of 5 petstores in the city plus the 2 Walmarts 3 if you count the Walmart being built right now. so that is like 1 pet store for every 41,000 people. This number seems really high as I dont see how 3 Chain Stores + 2 Mom and Pop Shops stay open in a city this size*weird*. Whats the numbers like this for your city/town or whatever Im curious.

180,000 people and 7 fish stores and 3 Walmarts if you want to add them, it is 10. (2 Pat's Pets, Petcetra, PetsMart, Petland, Alin Decara, A1 Aquariums.) Dont think I forgot any. Now that is a high ratio of petstores to people! 1 to every 25714 or 1 to every 18000 people with Walmart.

17,147 people

1 local (owned and operated) fish store (NOT pet store, we have 0 "pet" stores)

0 chain stores or other fish selling stores

but we are not far from the souther suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul so i do 75% of my LFS shopping in the southern burbs :D

WOW those are low and high numbers. I dont see how "your area" can have that many pet stores Zagz. I think that Saskatoon is just barely keeping the ones we have. Petland controls all of them pretty much. 2 of the A-1s here have closed down as well as Speers within the last year and a half since Petsmarts opening. Im really surprised that the locally owned shop here is staying open and I try to stay loyal to him but he doesnt have what I need alot of the times which forces me to use the chains :( Thanks for sharing I was curious! :p

328,014 as of yr 2000....it would take me days to count all the stores...but roughly 15-20 within 20 minutes drive not counting petsmart/petco.

My poor city (I live outside Birmingham, in a suburb): 16,000 people, 1 nasty locally owned pet store. :(

There is a local owned fish store about 5 miles away in another city that is so-so. All the "good" stores are about 15-20 miles away in yet another city that has 3 chain stores and 3 (that i know of) local fish stores, 2 of which specialize in salt water (which doesn't help me). ;)

Sorry, my post was more like a rant than help.

Its really hard to divide the fox cities, but I'll try.
Grand Chute/Appleton-90,000 people 2 petco's, 2 petsuppliesplus, 1 petsmart, 6 small store I know of, and 2 walmarts with fish. That's 13 stores, about 1.3 stores per 10,000 people.
If you count the Fox Cities as one big city (which us locals do) there's probably 30 pet stores and 225,000 people.
We like our pet store options.

maybe about 80,000 here in the city... but suburbs is more... i would say 7 LFS with a couple petco, 1 petsmart, and a couple other small chains around.

Aquarium Freak said:
WOW those are low and high numbers. I dont see how "your area" can have that many pet stores Zagz. I think that Saskatoon is just barely keeping the ones we have. Petland controls all of them pretty much. 2 of the A-1s here have closed down as well as Speers within the last year and a half since Petsmarts opening. Im really surprised that the locally owned shop here is staying open and I try to stay loyal to him but he doesnt have what I need alot of the times which forces me to use the chains :( Thanks for sharing I was curious! :p

I don't know either to be honest. Pat's keeps up with the exotics. Alin Decara's fish are all the small livebearer's types and Petland, Petsmart and Petcetra keep the people coming in with 2 for 1 specials. A1 has a following with the older aquarists and walmart is walmart. It's nuts really how many there are here. Don't know how they all stay in business.

Zagz said:
It's nuts really how many there are here. Don't know how they all stay in business.

You don't huh? Take a look around your house. LOL.

Let's see, NYC has somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 million. Petland has @ 14 stores in each of the 5 boroughs, 5 PetCo's and 1 PetSmart. I don't have an exact count of the number of regular LFS, but let's say an average of 7 per borough. NYC is definitely underserved in the Aquatics area based on population.

Population= 4K
Pet stores= 0

Within a 20 minute drive:
Pet stores: 1 (not good at all either)

Have to drive 45 minutes to get to a decent store.

With so many pet stores at home, you can see how going to school in an area with 200,000 people and 3 pet stores is just not cutting it.

City of Harlingen population: 63,500

Mom & Pop Pet Shops: 2, Harlingen Pets & Animals Galore

Chains: PetSmart & SuperWalmart

I will buy fish at both Mom & Pop's (although Animals Galore is better) and I have bought fish @ PetSmart, but hell would have freeze over twice before I would buy any fish from WM. 8O

population: 2,907
pet stores- 2 LFS, 1 petco (or petsmart), 1 feed place that has FW fish.

Toledo, Ohio
Population: just under 300,000
Dozen+ stores, (suburbs of Toledo and chain petstores included)

I live in Dallas Texas. I don't even know how many walmarts/Petsmart/petcos we have in the area, not to mention the "smaller" lfs. Mind boggling...

Back
Top Bottom