How many tanks is to much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s007m77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so realistically am I going fish crazy I have 175 bowfrunt I picked up for $150 a 90 gallon for $100 a free 55 gallon a 30 gallon for $20 and 2 tens from a long time ago. About $1800 in total for all the equiptment live rock sand fish rodi pums sumps refuge lights everything. ..
I dont want to expand any further but frends/wife wants me to have just one what do you guys think? Btw its all in the bacement and not in the way?

If you can handle the work load, go for it! Jealous to be able to have that much on the go, time to tend to them, and space in your house for that many...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is too much when it stops being fun and turns into a job. That is unless you want it to be a job. I have known a few people who had more than 300 tanks.

Get rid of her. Keep the tanks instead. Cheers!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I say 2 is a minimum. Play the one is a backup or hospital tank card.
What would u do if one cracked? Buy a new one? That kind of line

Who cares what your friends think, are they going to be maintaining them.
and if they are are in the basement and not in the way, then who cares what the wife says either.
if you can afford the expense and are willing to do the maintenance, why does everyone else care?

At one point I had I think 9 tanks going in a two bedroom apt ranging from ten gallons up to 100. :fish2:

I really hate having tanks not in common living area. Feels like I cannot enjoy them. So that's my limit. How many fit in bedroom, living area, dining room and office at Wrk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Too many is when YOU feel they are too much. I grew up with 25 in my bedroom ranging from 2 1/2 gals up to 55 gal all with different types of fish and corals. You couldn't blend all the fish I kept into just a few tanks so it wasn't a choice. ( or at least a hard choice. LOL ) I then made it a career and was up to over 400 tanks I maintained just in one hatchery.
So how many is too many? In my eyes, there's never TOO many :D

Confining you to the basement is just not right. There is nothing shameful about aquariums. Its not like you are running a meth lab...ha ha

Breaking fins

How many tanks is to much?

well I started out with 6 upgraded to my 90 than I had 2 but it seems things just keep growing again now there's 3 but before long I see 4 or 5 again its worse than hoarding

Breaking fins

92584-albums13974-picture67058.jpg

It's too many tanks when any of these are true:
1. You can't pay the electric bill for heaters/filters etc.
2. You can't afford to care for the fish
3. You don't have time to care for your fish.
4. Your family signs you up for an intervention.

lol, hmm or if any two of the above lol. I started about 6 weeks ago with a 55gallon my wife picked up at a yard sale for $20.00. Thought at the time that it was a huge tank. Well after six weeks of studying and practicing the hobby I now have a 40gallon b to go with it and just closed the wife this morning on letting me buy a 120 gallon :D . The part I havent told her yet is I intend to keep all three tanks running . **** this gets addictive fast

So it worked I now have all together:

Running tanks:
90 gallon 30 gallon sump
75 gall 30 gallon sump
2-55 gallon fresh
2-10 gallon micro

Unfinished tanks (not running):
180 gallon 55 gallon sump 100 gallon refuge
180 gallon bow front 55 gallon sump 100 gallon refuge

NOW insted of buying more tanks I need to make each one perfect :D . Thanks all you guys for your funny yet meaningful ansers answers.

Those tanks don't belong in a basement. They should be in the foyer of a natural history museum!

Too many tanks is when you run out of power outlets to run them. I'm at a point where i have to go bigger instead of getting more tanks. Its a PITA for me now. I have to play musical chairs with anything electrical. I moved the stereo to the bedroom for one more tank in the living room. Spare room has extension chords running into the living room with power boards attached too. 2 tanks on a power board in the kitchen (I sacrificed the table as a stand :) ). Current count is 8 running tanks, 9 will push things but i can shuffle things and do 9 as long as it's fresh water and i don't want to grow plants. After that i'd have to run multiple tanks with a central sump to expand (which i plan to do to breed some Bettas). I plan to downsize the number of tanks for a while as i upgrade to bigger tanks though. I envy your tanks s007. I have 2x 20g, 2x 35g, 10g, 3x 5g running. Then a 40g & another 30g to set up when i purchase the final equipment. I haven't tried salt yet either. One of my 35g could be converted easily enough but I don't feel ready for the challenge or the added cost of the fish at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom