how many times a day do you feed your fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of my fish get fed once every other day.

One of them gets fed daily because he becomes very aggressive if he's hungry.

One of them gets fed small portions twice daily.

Adult fish usually every other day. Fry get fed twice a day with two fasting days a week.

Once a day or every other day, depending on my mood. They're all getting fat anyway, little pigs...

--Adeeb

Yea I've heard once daily but the directions on the container says twice daily. I dont want to over feed but I don't want them starved. :/

Why a break day when feeding?

Hi, I'm new to keeping fish and learning a lot on here.

I'm curious, why is it that quite a few people here take a break from feeding their fish one day a week?

To let their digestive systems clear, reduce waste, and because adult fish usually don't need to eat every day. Fish can get fat too.

I feed my fish twice a day , every day. I doubt if a fish goes without eating in the wild. I have never had issues doing it that way. Alison:)

Lately I've been feeding more, once per day. Usually around 5 times per week.

I feed my fish twice a day , every day. I doubt if a fish goes without eating in the wild.

the only type of fish that do not eat/graze on an almost constant basis are larger carnivores. The majority of the small fish we see available for home aquariums feed pretty much constantly in the wild.
One exception would be mouth-brooders when they are caring for their eggs.

Hobbyist follow stringent feeding regimes in order to maintain water quality, not really out of any real health needs of the fish.
Yes, there are times when a fish may benefit from an occasional fast, fancy goldfish being one type that does benefit from fasting, but frankly that is more due to the muck-up that is their digestive tract thanks to the genetic manipulation over the years to develop some of those lines.
Natural carp have no need to fast for digestive issues.

anyway, enough rambling.

I feed my salt tanks once a day with an occasional day long fast, in interest of water quality.
My freshwater tetra tank gets fed about 4-6 times a day, but the set-up is not conventional so it can easily manage the bio-load.:fish1:

I give our female betta a freeze dried blood worm in the morning, and she gets a pellet at night.

Then I give the catfish a couple pinches of food. She pigs on their food too, one reason why I don't give her much, plus she doesn't need much.

They get fasted once a week.

Anyone ever use one of these?
I'm not familiar with them but the lady at the LFS said it is like a natural filter and they feed off of it??
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416162918.381732.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416162932.081478.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Just found this section, looks like I could be over feeding, when you say once a day, do I assume as much as they can eat in 2, 3, or 5 minutes, what about ground dwellers, they can starve pretty quickly, also do you use flake one day, pellets the next and so on.......sorry for all the questions

I feed 3 times a day, probably total each day for their consumption is-
1/8 tsp fluval flake
1/4 tsp omega one flake
1/4-1/2 tsp bloodworms
10-12 sinking shrimp pellets

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yes, I am a Harry Potter Nerd. SO THERE! ✨ ?⚡

Oscar gets fed 2 to 3 times a day. Carnivore sticks, cichlid sticks, cichlid pellets, blood worms and some veggies throughout the week.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

I was feeding twice a day, but I've since cut back to only once a day. I was also overfeeding at each feeding, so I've cut that back as well. Over the past week, my tank has cleared up significantly. I may have to try this fasting thing and feed all days except Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom