Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: How many times have you got JOLTED??
None 27 69.23%
1 Time 5 12.82%
2-5 Times 4 10.26%
6-10 Times 2 5.13%
10-15 Times 0 0%
15 or More Times (You need to Get out of the hobby) 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
never been shocked by my aquarium, but every winter I get scared of my car because one winter it seemed like I was always getting shocked, and it hurt! (yes, I'm a big baby when it comes to little ouchies)

Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Never with my aquariums but in the wintertime I get shocked every single time I get out of my car. It is loud (people look over when they hear the "crack") and it has to do with the tires on cars these days that are low rolling resistance. Now I touch the metal with my leg or arm as I am getting out so it is less painful. Still extremly annoying!

Not what you were talking about, Rev, but it reminded me of my pet peeve!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Anywhere between 2-5 since I've been an aquarist. Just happened to me the other day as a matter of fact, plugging in my Protien skimmer . Word of advice, dry off your hands before plugging anything in!!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
i think some people are more sensitive to electricity than others! before i bought a ground i was always feeling a burning feeling when i first put my hand in the tank not a huge shock just a burn! would have my girlfriend and friends put their hands in the same place and they wouldnt feel anything!
my dads friend was an electrician and he would be able to tell you if the power going thru the house was 220 or 110 by just holding onto 2 wires! now most people wouldnt be able to handle that
good luck keith
Old 02-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I hope I never get shocked from my aquarium. Electricity can be a scary thing.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
From the tank... none. From trying to replace a florecent fixture in my fish room. Once.

Oh and in a house that I once lived in if you where to grab the oven door and the fridge door at the same time you would get a nice jolt. Then the same thing happend if you leaned your head onto the stove hood while you where cooking on the stove. hahaha. That kitchen was an elightening experence.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I hate electricity. , When I was little I fell across an electric fence and was just left there to sizzle . I guess it impacted me, I don't like messing with any electrical wiring, I will if I have to but I'd rather defer to someone else. Now I've never been shocked by my tank but today while trying to clean out some cyno my wife let the drain hose puor water all over my power strip 8O , saw all kinds of smoke 8O .

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 02-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

GFCI on all cords so no shocks for me (knocking on wood), yet! Outside of the aquaurium I've received a few good jolts on various projects.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Probably 3-4 shocks - no major ones. I once had my Magnum canister start spraying water onto the electrical outlet because the POS didn't seal properly. I quickly yanked the cord out and didn't get shocked. The fuse blew. I don't know why I pulled the cord and don't know why I didn't get shocked. Electricity is just a total mystery.

God I hated that Magnum.
We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I get shocked about once a week, but then again my hands are in the water/fixing broken filters way more than most people here (I work at Petco).

The other day I got shocked really bad for the first time though. Afterwards I couldn't stop shaking my hand and I felt really sick. Got sent home early. Yuck, horrible experience, wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com