How many times have you been aquarium shocked??? (((POLL)))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many times have you got JOLTED??

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Time

• 2-5 Times

• 6-10 Times

• 10-15 Times

• 15 or More Times (You need to Get out of the hobby)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was inspired because of an earlier thread about maxi jets and electrocution. Kinda embarassed to say, but I have been shocked about 5 times in one year. I was wondering if there are a small percentage of folks like me that get jolted, or if this is something common. :oops:

how much of a jolt are you talking about?
I got shocked everytime I got out of my car, a few years back. It wasnt just a little spark, but enough to leave a small red welt on my hand/arm. It was a JOLT. If your talking about a big shock like the ones you cant let go of... well about four time total

Well I should have been more specific. How many times have you been shocked/jolted messing with your aquarium? :wink:

Had a few over the years....the two worst were from a very poorly designed/build/sheilded electrical system at a Petland store when I was a manager for the company about a decade ago, and the opther was from a large electric cat lurking behind a big piece of driftwood (I was cleaning the tank, and didn't know he was in there).

Re: How many times have you been aquarium shocked??? (((POLL

I've never been shocked working with my FW aquariums. I've only been slightly jolted by wall outlets twice in my lifetime - both times it was my own fault.

revhtree said:
Kinda embarassed to say, but I have been shocked about 5 times in one year. I was wondering if there are a small percentage of folks like me that get jolted, or if this is something common. :oops:
Sorry Rev, this only happens to people with electric personalities, like yourself. :D Actually, I think SW folks would be more likely to get zapped bacause the salt water is a much better conductor than FW, and it is very corrosive around electrical equipment. If I had SW, I would definitely use GFCI outlets.

Sorry Rev, this only happens to people with electric personalities, like yourself

Awww.....You say the kindest things......I Think... :p

I have been shocked working with my qt tank 2 times this past week. I was plugging in a skimmer to a drop chord and just like Emril's cooking...BAM! 8O

Well I thought I had spilled some water on it, until I tried to plug something else into it a few days later.......BAM! BAM! :lol:

Turns out it's the drop chord........ :wink:

never been shocked by my aquarium, but every winter I get scared of my car because one winter it seemed like I was always getting shocked, and it hurt! (yes, I'm a big baby when it comes to little ouchies)

Never with my aquariums but in the wintertime I get shocked every single time I get out of my car. It is loud (people look over when they hear the "crack") and it has to do with the tires on cars these days that are low rolling resistance. Now I touch the metal with my leg or arm as I am getting out so it is less painful. Still extremly annoying!

Not what you were talking about, Rev, but it reminded me of my pet peeve!

Anywhere between 2-5 since I've been an aquarist. Just happened to me the other day as a matter of fact, plugging in my Protien skimmer :x . Word of advice, dry off your hands before plugging anything in!! :lol:

i think some people are more sensitive to electricity than others! before i bought a ground i was always feeling a burning feeling when i first put my hand in the tank not a huge shock just a burn! would have my girlfriend and friends put their hands in the same place and they wouldnt feel anything!
my dads friend was an electrician and he would be able to tell you if the power going thru the house was 220 or 110 by just holding onto 2 wires! now most people wouldnt be able to handle that :)

From the tank... none. From trying to replace a florecent fixture in my fish room. Once.

Oh and in a house that I once lived in if you where to grab the oven door and the fridge door at the same time you would get a nice jolt. Then the same thing happend if you leaned your head onto the stove hood while you where cooking on the stove. hahaha. That kitchen was an elightening experence.

Well I hate electricity. :roll: , When I was little I fell across an electric fence and was just left there to sizzle :roll: . I guess it impacted me, I don't like messing with any electrical wiring, I will if I have to but I'd rather defer to someone else. :wink: Now I've never been shocked by my tank but today while trying to clean out some cyno my wife let the drain hose puor water all over my power strip 8O , saw all kinds of smoke 8O .

GFCI on all cords so no shocks for me (knocking on wood), yet! Outside of the aquaurium I've received a few good jolts on various projects.

Probably 3-4 shocks - no major ones. I once had my Magnum canister start spraying water onto the electrical outlet because the POS didn't seal properly. I quickly yanked the cord out and didn't get shocked. The fuse blew. I don't know why I pulled the cord and don't know why I didn't get shocked. Electricity is just a total mystery.

God I hated that Magnum.

I get shocked about once a week, but then again my hands are in the water/fixing broken filters way more than most people here (I work at Petco).

The other day I got shocked really bad for the first time though. Afterwards I couldn't stop shaking my hand and I felt really sick. Got sent home early. Yuck, horrible experience, wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom