How much money do you have into our hobby so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Much

• 0-100

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • 101-200

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • 201-300

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • 301-400

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 401-500

Votes: 24 8.3%
  • 501-800

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • 801-1000

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 1001-1500

Votes: 44 15.2%
  • 1501-2000

Votes: 26 9.0%
  • 2001-3000

Votes: 18 6.2%
  • This list can't even touch my price tag lol

Votes: 54 18.6%

• Total voters
I added up how much I have spent in the last 7 months. Lets just say it is close the the number of digits of your credit card number. JK! But it was a lot more than I thought it would be!

I put $2000-3000. My current filters on my 3 active tanks alone were $750, and at one time I had 7 tanks. I spend a lot on fish, too, let them grow and trade them back to the fish store when they get too big, losing at least 50% of my money each time. I have all my tanks also hooked up to their own battery backups so if the power goes out they keep ticking.

But this is probably nothing compared to what I have planned. I want a public aquarium standard tank built with 4 sides (3 sides and bottom) concrete (yes, I know standard concrete isn't waterproof) with one side glass or acylic, aiming at about 3000 gallons. I want it to drain out to a manually built filtration system I intend to build out of my current store bought tanks and will pump back in using a fountain pump. Contrary to most big fish tanks though I am not really interested in many big fish, I'd prefer to keep maybe 1 centerpiece fish and then a lot of smaller ones. Right now one of my 75's is a species tank of small fish and I really, really enjoy that more than having one large fish like I did previously... But, the hobby always changes... That's the joy of having a fish store that takes fish back. Love exploring the hobby.

I am in the same boat losing money on trade backs selling tanks to pay for equipment for my other tanks ect you never get back what you put in but I have a two month old baby now so my tanks took a dive from like 9 to 2 display and 1 qt (80 gall, fluval chi 6.6, 15 gall qt) not much time for more till the baby gets a little older

So now I am in 4000$ with three tanks made some money selling tanks but it went right to filters lights stock ect lol

Tim Wheatley said:
Congrats Ryan! My little girl is 1mo. :)

Congrats to you too we have a boy crazy life style change being our first lol but maybe we can sink more money into the hobby when our future aquarists get into the hobby :)

I'm only 16 and I've spents almost $1,000 on everything I had. And just started this hobby about five months ago

I'm about 1500-1800 between my three freshwater tanks 10g,20g,55g all fw. But piece of mind doesn't have a price and that's exactly what they give me so no matter how much I continue to spend I say it's priceless. If only my wife thought the same way lol. Gonna kill me when I get into sw.

Desastre said:
I'm about 1500-1800 between my three freshwater tanks 10g,20g,55g all fw. But piece of mind doesn't have a price and that's exactly what they give me so no matter how much I continue to spend I say it's priceless. If only my wife thought the same way lol. Gonna kill me when I get into sw.

I completely Agree with everything enough said lol

I have 2 55g tanks and 2 10g tanks. I have African Cichlids in one and Angelfish in the other. I don't know how much I've spent over the last 7 years and I don't really want to know. I would most likely have a MI (heart attack) if I knew the truth of it.
Especially since in the early years I'd try different things only to find out they didn't work very well. Like 4 UGF that turned out to be more trouble than help. So their in a box with all the other stuff that I bought and then didn't like.
Plus after 7 years you get board with how the tank looks so you replace things, for a new look. Then if you add all the meds. and food and the Oh, soooo many bottles of Prime, for the twice a week PWC on 4 tanks. Then of course there is the water bill.
Basically in 7 years I've spent a fortune, but in return, I've had countless and priceless hours of peace and tranquility and even affection. Not just for me, but my whole family. So the return is worth the price, what ever it's been.

My 125g Reef has so far cost me in excess of £3,000. My F/O tank around £800.
Crazy but well worth it!

I honestly don't even want to think about it and figure it out. If I did my whole 'thing' would probably come to a halt. Not by my choice of course, though.

WendiDell said:
After 7 years I would have had the down payment for a house by now.

Hot dog that's into it lol, been on off for 20 years and not that bad, I can see my wallet takin a 10k hit in the next couple years though addictions getting worse, I paced myself for years just being content with watching my old mans tank when I was young the keeping a 20 gal....but now I'm surrounded and it's getting worse adding in reptiles too ain't helping but I like tickling there bellies :)

Hot dog that's into it lol, been on off for 20 years and not that bad, I can see my wallet taking a 10k hit in the next couple years though addictions getting worse, I paced myself for years just being content with watching my old mans tank when I was young the keeping a 20 gal....but now I'm surrounded and it's getting worse adding in reptiles too ain't helping but I like tickling there bellies :)

I know what you mean. I would love to add an Amphibian tank with a bunch of Mud Puppies (Axolotls). They aren't reptile, they are amphibian but it's kind of the same idea.
I think they are so adorable, but the money for these would be outlandish for me to spend.
I'd also like a 120g Discus tank, but my favorite Discus are all in the $200.00 range. So they are a dream that most likely will never be a reality. Unless I get married again, to someone with a lot of spare money. Which is less likely to happen than the Discus tank.:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• smiling mudpuppy.jpg
    smiling mudpuppy.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 71
  • petaxolotl.jpg
    petaxolotl.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 67
  • axolotl.jpg
    axolotl.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 67
WendiDell said:
I know what you mean. I would love to add an Amphibian tank with a bunch of Mud Puppies (Axolotls). They aren't reptile, they are amphibian but it's kind of the same idea.
I think they are so adorable, but the money for these would be outlandish for me to spend.
I'd also like a 120g Discus tank, but my favorite Discus are all in the $200.00 range. So they are a dream that most likely will never be a reality. Unless I get married again, to someone with a lot of spare money. Which is less likely to happen than the Discus tank.:ROFLMAO:

That's the next venture is discus, and maybe those ugly little beasts :) never seen either in a store yet, may have to go to a city or custom order which is gonna get pricey, I feel the pain on no marriage or money lol

That's the next venture is discus, and maybe those ugly little beasts :) never seen either in a store yet, may have to go to a city or custom order which is gonna get pricey, I feel the pain on no marriage or money lol

I've never seen any Mud Puppies in any of the FS around me either, but I live in a small town. Which is surrounded by more small towns. So I'm not surprised that I haven't seen them around where I live.
But Mud Puppies (Axolotls) are worth hunting for, if you want to get them.

Back
Top Bottom