Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: How Often do you do water changes?
every week 30 40.54%
every 2 weeks 21 28.38%
every 3 weeks 7 9.46%
monthly 8 10.81%
never 8 10.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
So far I dont need to do them so why start? If it anit broke dont fix it.
so that pollutants or toxins don't build up and crash the system...are you running a good protein skimmer? how long have you been set up?

Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

that sounds logical you change it when it needs changing why change it if nothings wrong thats just more work for yourself! I think any one that has a tank has quite a bit invested. But i never knew oscars were that exspensive?

Old 09-24-2004, 01:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I voted never, however I did do 1 - 5G after having the tank for about 2 months. Y? Because everywhere I read, "You got to do water changes". Ba, humbug. I agree, if it ain't broke, don't g00b with it. I suspect most folks that *must* do water changes do so because of tests showing high bad things. Ever wonder why? The truth is, you could probably dump all the extra filtration trash if you were really willing to work at it. However, seems everyone wants 100lbs of LR in their 30G tank with 2 percs, wrasse, couple tangs, several corals, all the 'clean up crew' they can afford and o ya, did I mention, I just added a lionfish. I guess my point is this: If you flood the environment (overload) you have to do something because your natural filters will never be able to keep up with your 'bioload'. (p00p and what not..;) Its a lot like oil in your car. We put oil in every 3000 mi (ok, your supposed to ; ) or so cause we wear it smooth out. We know its going to happen, but we still dump in all this expensive time and $$ into our oil pan so we can squeeze yet another meesly 3 - 4000 mi out of our car. Obviously the engine puts way to much load on the supporting environment, but we do it anyway and so we are stuck with some mundane, on going maint routine. There are however lots of folks (Im one) and a host of articles out there on running a tank with minimal effort. With, in some cases, better results than all the reactors, filtration, skimmers $$ can buy. Its not an approach for everyone, but I frown on anyone who says it 'just can't be done' or someones tank is not living up to its 'potential'. (Check out my gallery..no water changes in almost a year and skimmerless - Cnat stop the xenia from taking over the tank and coraline algea? fughettaboutit) Theres far more to a healthy tank than throwing a bunch of cash at it. It takes time, effort, the love of reef keeping and sometimes a dash of luck. All this I guess to say, water changes work for you? Geat, keep up the good work. If you have never done anything but feed your fish, consider yourself lucky, you have acheived some level of equilibrium most keepers will never try to find.
nother 2 cents..think Im up to about a dollar tonight..time to log ; )
Old 09-24-2004, 01:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers18
that sounds logical you change it when it needs changing why change it if nothings wrong thats just more work for yourself! I think any one that has a tank has quite a bit invested. But i never knew oscars were that exspensive?
For me, monetary value has less importance than the responsibility of providing a good home for the creatures we've yanked from the oceans for our pleasure.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have an over stocked 20g so im on it every week or less
Old 09-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Not true buddy about the water change, since it has been proven that the least water changes, the more stable the parameters shall be. Don't get me wrong, this filter cost me $700, but it stands by what it says and in 4 days from 50PPM Nitrates to 0. I just dose weekly calcium, iodine, iron & trace elements along with PH Buffer. THAT's ALL.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like messing with my tank cleaning; ect. ect. I like buying all the latest gadgets and gizmos that come out some work some dont . The ones that do, stay the ones that dont get trashed. A water change can only help and salt is cheaper than all thoes chemicals. So if you dont have the money for all the gadgets you can get by with out them but what fun is a hobby you cant spend any money on? And who wants a bare bones tank with not much live stock (Boring)!!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im new to this but I like the Idea of trying small (>1%-2%) water changes daily. Some say this stresses the fish more, but I think that you can supplement nutrients into the water, and remove the hassle of dosing. You could mix maybe a drop of kalk into it, or iodine supplements. Plus it's really easy, unless you have a truly monstrous tank.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:10 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
come on the people that say they never clean thier tanks, expose yourself and speak more of what type of tank it is and what type of filtration system you have.

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com