how old were you when you got your first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

how old were you when you got your first aquarium

• 0-10

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • 11-20

Votes: 60 44.8%
  • 21-30

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 41-50

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 51-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61 +

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was a baby I always have had aquariums around my dad had a dental office with huge aquariums. From a very early age I was taught how to care for and appreciate our fish. Not only did my father teach me how to appreciate fish but he taught me how to fish also. I have had an intrigue or romance with nature and wildlife ever since. I also have Aspergers or high functioning autism which adds to this intrigue. When I'm out doors I get lost in the biological systems and often lose track of time. I'm 23 and getting ready to get a bachelors in biology and then I may go into either aquatic biology or dentistry.

I was like five or six and my Aunt gave us a five gallon tank and some guppies and I've been hooked ever since.

Ot my first proper tank( discus tank) at 12 now I'm 13. Had for and got 2 now but thanks to this site I now have AlOT more knowledge and luckily kept 2 discus alive. Thanks to all the people who helped me learn and discover new things :)

My home had many aquaria in it before I was born, so they have always been around (my grandfather began keeping aquaria in the early 1930's, and my father in the 1950's, so aquariums were a standard part of our life)...but I received the first tank of my very own when I was 4. Although I was young, since my father had always made me a part of tank maintenance, I was quite capable of taking care of an aquarium on my own.

It was a slate-bottomed, steel-framed 10 gallon tank with a stainless-steel hood, occupied by three Corydoras julii, four fancy guppies, four neon tetra, and 3 silver hatchetfish. Filtration was via a small, plastic, air-driven box filter in the corner....heat was from a hang-on tank submersible glass heater (which was never on during the day, as the incandescent tube under the steel hood warmed the tank pretty good).

I was 13. Got it for my 8th grade graduation. I saw a fish tank at the doctors or dentist or something and I had to have a tank of my own :)

Got my tanks when i was 15! Its been almost 2yrs nd im still happy with them:) got 2 tanks both 10gallons

I had goldfish in a bowl when I was 5 or so, but I don't think that counts. My first "real" tank was inspired by a visit to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago when I was 12. I got it after I returned to Minneapolis and have kept them continiously ever since.

2 1/2 gal., guppies and probably a couple of tetras and platys. Hard to remember for sure as that was in 1946. :eek:

My first "big" tank was a 10 gal. I got for Christmas later that year. (It was big back then.) My parents were reluctant as they didn't think I'd stick with it. :D

16... a birthday present that I begged for, found a great deal on Craigslist: $50 - 2. 10g tanks, azoo backup air pump, API test kit, 2 super cool light from doctor Foster and Smith (new $125EACH) spounge filters, air stones, siphon, 3 heaters for 10g tanks, and a bunch more miscellaneous things... I knew very little about fish but I was a kid in a candy store... and my mom was happy when she found out how much all of it was worth :)

I was 7 . I wasn't allowed a pet dog so I chose fish and my mum and dad got me a 2 foot tank with a golden orfe and 2 shubumpkins.I used to watch it for hours :)

Back
Top Bottom