Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband is super supportive. He finances my obsessions as well as gives me constant encouragement. Granted, he doesn't take part in the labor area (I wouldn't expect him to since they are my tanks after all ) but he's always there giving me pep talks when I get discouraged and will often tell me how nice the tanks are looking.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Very interesting.

My husband is very supportive. He loves the aquarium. But our situation may be a little different. He's retired, and I took a part-time job (guess why!!!). I have a separate account for what I earn part-time, and I take from it to support my hobby. On the other hand, he also has a rather expensive hobby (model railroading), which is supported by our retirement fund and social security! I guess it all works out. I enjoy the trains, and he enjoys the fishies!

PS There's been talk here for years about putting a model train around my outside pond...I'd love that!

PPS Shouldn't this move to the lounge where the freshies and pond-keepers could join in?

dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think you have a valid point! LOL! I was just caught up in the subject matter.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Moved to the lounge so everyone can enjoy...

My wife is neutral. While we do not agree on just how expensive this hobby is, we both enjoy looking at the tanks.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fiance is very fickle about my tank but usually is pretty impartial. Although when I occasionally hang a skimmer on the side(the only place it can fit with the HOB fuge) I have been known to get a tounge lashing!!! All and all my fiance sounds a lot like your wife weekf, she usually says "tank looks ok" and I try to talk about the $$$ involved as little as possible.
beachbumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
My wife is very supportive, She lets me know when she likes the tanks. She also gives me the business if she think I am lacking on something. She talks to the fish. She likes that my hobby keeps me at home, I am just a yell away. As long as I don't get crazy she doesn't complain about the money involved.
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife likes all the tanks. Can she pick out a guppy from a discus, no way. She wants nothing to do with the tank, just something visuallly pleasing. She really likes the tank I placed in the bedroom. I went ahead and spent more money on substrate and lights that the other tanks. She noticed the results quickly and started asking why I don't switch over the 5 tanks downstairs to similar set ups. I explained how much it would run telling her the 84 gallon and 75 would get pricey. She is fine with it because she knows I enjoy it. For money issues just ask your wife how much she spent on the wash, cut, highlights, etc... the next time she gets her hair done ($240 dollars my wifes last visit).
Lepomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus
It took me awhile to get my wife assimilated and the job is not over yet. She did take over the 30g FW tank and it has become hers. No help with maintenance but she dotes over all of the fish, with the exception of Cliff whom she believes is an alien lifeform.
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband and I got into them together around the Finding Nemo craze. It started out with a 10 gal and grew from there. We've been fish keepers together since Day 1 so I guess we both support each other. Since all the tanks are "ours", we give each other compliments all the time. I am the one that really takes care of the 55 and 29 while he takes care of the 150. Mainly because I'm not crawling out the window with the python and running the house across the roof into the office below the apt (the 150 is in my office since, thankfully, my boss loves fish. Plus, it's not really feasible to have a 150 on the second floor of a 105 year old building with soft pine floors).
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife loves are tank and is very supportive. In fact, she gets mad when i forget to top off with fresh water and the level gets a little low.

She is very attached to 4 little fish and keeps me on my toes to make sure that I keep their world clean. She is very aware that they are truely dependand on me to keep their environemnt healthy, and she is also very aware that a lot of the livestock is collected from the ocean, so there is a lot of healthy pressure from her to keep our friends happy and heathly.

60gal reef in progress
75lbs Live Rock
40lbs Live Rock
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com