Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fiancee is very supportive. We have our own "duties" with the tanks. I feed and pick out the fish, he cleans and aquascapes the tanks. I let him know the needs of each fish, and he makes sure he meets those needs in his aquascaping.

He keeps me in control with purchasing fish though. If I could, I would be in the lfs every other day purchasing something new, but he won't let me He almost let me get another clown loach today, but they didn't have any i liked.

All in all though, we are in this hobby together, and we work on the tanks together.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

most people dont take the appreciation of our tanks casue they dont understand the difficulty of it. when people look at my tanks and i explain they are all live plants they just say cool... i like the red one... but they dont realise what it takes to get those red plants and how much effort it takes to make it look nice. my mom is funny. whenever i tell her to look at soemthing in my tank she acts all uninterested and just glances at it but i have seen her sitting infront of my tank watching it. or she will leave the phone near the tank and then i can tell she was looking lol. same with friends and other people who come over. they ask why u spent 150 dollars on a new filter or 25 dolars on a fish. i just shrug my shoulders and ask why they spend so much money on there hobbies.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Nobody in my family really understands why I've got the planted tank sickness, but I think they appreciate the fish. All of mine have personalities so they can be fun to watch. Guests LOVE the 13" pleco (me too ).
My bf once let me stop at the lfs before a date. They just happened to have a dream fish I've always wanted. I cancelled the date, bought the fish and went home to acclimate it (took a while - sensitive fish!). He just sat on the bed and looked bored. Poor guy. I haven't really "involved" him since.
But the fish aren't nearly as much work as the plants, and therefore not as satisfying to me. I think only people who know the kind of work necessary for a planted tank can truly appreciate the end result. And that's why I'm here.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
My husband started me on this hobby! While he never expected me to go crazy with it, he is very supportive. He is even supporting my choice for a 12th tank.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:50 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

I am glad that my whole family is supportive! My dad gets my CO2 cylinder filled for me. My mom likes to talk to the fish. My husband, while he isn't actively involved on water change day, will always help if I ask. My husband also sometimes leaves little notes about the fish or the tanks for me to find when I get up. (He leaves for work at 6:15 am and I'm not up then!)

My husband and my mom also like to make up names for the plants. They call the ambulia "parsely plant", the lace java fern is "bullwinkle plant", the Ranunculus is "palm tree", the Hydrocotyle is "lily pads", and somehow the Hygrophila is "banana plant"!

Zagz - a 12th tank!?!?!?!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Conclusion: If you get good result without spending any money, women will always be impressed. If you are going to put a great deal of $$$ into it to get that same result, forget it.
C'mon now. That isn't really fair. It isn't just a hobby for men as you can see!

I have 5 FW tanks now. My BF likes them all- he doesn't even mind the loud Emperor on our 45 gallon bedroom tank, nor will he mind the 2 other loud Emperors on the 55 gallon when I move it into the bedroom too! He seems pretty happy about the 90 gallon reef tank that I am planning. He doesn't even complain about the ugly Rubbermaid in our living room that I'm using to cure my LR until I can afford my 90 gallon. But I didn't complain when he spent $600 on a drum rack, either. I think the trick is for BOTH partners to get involved in an expensive hobby! Then, who can complain???

Seriously though, he enjoys looking at them, and he is totally supportive. He was super psyched when I brought home our new angelfish, and he even feigns interest when I start talking about which SW species I want, to the point of looking at the pictures when I Google! He's no help with maintenance though. :P

*edit* Anne, I completely support your idea for a 12th tank!!!! It makes my 6th tank look totally reasonable.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

As a kid I kept fish. I used to keep bonsai as well. I had 20 of them! They took up alot of time, space, and money! With planted tanks I can combine my love of fish and plants into one hobby.
My wife will comment on the tanks when they look good, she has even called me at work when she thinks something is wrong to tell me. I don't think she is thrilled about how much money I've spent, or how much time I spend on my tanks, but she knows I love doing my tanks and she wants me to be happy, god knows I'm a grumpy old fart most of the time!
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

I must be so lucky..... i started the hoby about 4 years ago and we both had to stop each other from buying tanks when we got to 12..... We upsised and sold some of the smaller tanks. We also take equal time with maintenence.
Whats even better, is my fiancee is working in a pet/aquarium store.
She will call me at work from work every order day to beg me to get somthing new....
Soooooo many options with a 240 gal!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Man I wish my wife could be more supportive as yours wife/husband. I work 9 to 5 since I haven't bought the timer for the light switches and I will have to ring her at home to switch them on for me when it is time she even gets mad because I am disturbing my 3 yr old son's afternoon nap Or sometimes she will just complain too much trouble.

I have just bought a yellow tang last week and I have been keeping calling her to check if the tang is eating, are there still any nori left on the clips she would tell me to bugger off! I asked her if she could put in some new nori for me if the tang finish it before I can get home she said NO WAY that she will get her hands wet. Heck!

Now you guys can imagine how I am the lonely one into this hobby myself...
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotty
Whats even better, is my fiancee is working in a pet/aquarium store.
Is that why you are marrying her?

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com