How things change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrscbennett

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 23 years ago we had 9 or 10 aquariums ranging in size from 10 to 55gallons in a small apartment. We had tetra tanks, angels, SA cichlids, and discus. We used under gravel filters, we floated our fish for 10 minutes before putting them in the tank and we didn't use chemicals unless someone was really sick!
We didn't have fish for many years and now we are getting back into it! Things have changed a lot! Thank you all for the advise and information that we get from you! Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to do an African cichlid tank.

It's funny ... lately I've been comparing how I handle my aquarium now compared to when I was back in 8th grade. I pretty much floated my fancy goldfish for 15 minutes, not much acclimation, dumped tap water right into the tank and did a "thorough" filter cleaning every couple of months. QT? What was that?

So I've asked myself, what's changed? Many members that had tanks years ago, took a hiatus and recently returned usually say how much things have changed. But has anything really changed? Filters, I assume are better, heaters are probably more efficient, lights are probably brighter ... so basically the equipment used has improved, but still functions the same way.

The fundamentals hasn't. Cycling hasn't changed, beneficial bacteria back then are the same as today. Stocking hasn't changed, putting a 10 inch oscar in a 20 inch tank isn't as good an idea today as years ago. So, what's really changed? The more I think about it, the only thing that's really changed is how quick and easily information is available ... in other words, the web.

Years ago, we knew what we were told by an LFS employee or a friend / relative that "kept" a fish tank .. the back in the day version of research. I can tell you first hand when I think back to those who I knew had fish, how those fish survived is beyond me. Bala's in 20gal tanks, 8 common goldfish in a 10gal etc etc etc. Back then it was what we knew, today we should know better ... because we should research research research.

Just my two cents worth.

Many things have changed as a result of the web; from information to livestock availability. Some things haven't; in the end, keeping a clean and healthy environment still comes down to the individual in charge of the tank. All the information in the world won't clean your aquarium, stock it properly, or keep the fish fed.

Back
Top Bottom