How to call to report a store I California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Went to a lfs today that I have never been to we are looking at the fish and several tanks have fish with no fins the angels and tin foil barbs I was like what the heck.. I see an employee and ask and she says oh there are too many in the tanks and the tin foils have been here a while. I have never ever seen anything like it. It really got to me . So who do I call to report this store and will something be done about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not really anything you can do. Legally fish aren't looked at as having animal rights so they won't press charges for animal cruelty. The only thing you can do is try to talk to the owner of the shop and stop spending money there if they aren't willing to change.

If Walmart can get away with dead fish all over the place and mixing goldfish and chiclids, I'm sorry but I don't think anyone could really do anything about it.

Went to a lfs today that I have never been to we r looking at the fish and several tanks have fish with no fins the angels and tin foil barbs I was like what the heck.. I see an employee and ask and she says oh there r too many in the tanks and the tin foils have been here a while. I have never ever seen anything like it. It really got to me . So who do I call to report this store and will something be done about it?

I have reported lfs to the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection and Care of Animals). They followed up my complaint but said that they can only check in particular issues. I am in Australia. I think you are in North America - there must be somewhere you can report the issue to.

Sorry - you did say California in the title!

I meant to say also that down here the RSPCA looks at shelter, food/water and injuries. If the issues don't fall into any of these categories, they can't don anything about it (legislation weaknesses).

At quebec, we have a store called "Animalerie Dyno", they throw full buck of dead fish per days.

They got a penality of 1500$ for dog crualty only... Most of their dogs are dehydrated, because the water is not change often enough. Some dogs doesn't react to movement, as they are too damaged.

Sadly fish are not thought of as highly as other pets. I watch animal cops on animal plantet all the time and they resuce lizards, snakes, birds, ferrets, rats, and other pets but NEVER fish.

A lot of times the police are ignorant. They often cling to the "invasive species" argument -which is actually a legit argument.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you think there might be a fish association or pet store association - there usually is for different retail entities, to ensure particular standards.

I just think a fish have a little spirit. If you make them suffer, I just think they really suffer, not as some say that it's only their nerve system that make them act as if they suffer...

They probably won't prey god for suffering to stop, but I think they feel suffering and they don't want it. They're species like us that want to survive, the goal is the same.

Fish bowls and betta vases are still being sold too so there is bad conditions for fish in some stores and all the equipment a person needs to contionue keeping fish in bad conditions at home. Many people will keep fish in conditions like that and think if the fish lives for a few months that's ok they can just buy another one. My wife used to think that fish were doing well if they lived for six months.

My GF fish is still alive for 8 month now in a 1g- bowl... I sometime use It to keep cycle in my QT aquarium... I'm just helping this poor betta feel better sometimes :p

To the OP call the BBB although it may not help with the condition of the animals it will make other people notice the problem. Also the BBB will tell you if and who you should contact about that. If it is a chain store call the national HQ if it is locally owned then continually put in complaints with the business association in that area.

Back
Top Bottom