Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would show him videos of some of the bigger fish (like arowanas and gar) eating stuff. From what I have seen, non-fish guys tend to get interested when they see an arowana take out a bullfrog in one bite. Or have him watch River Monsters?

You could take him to a fish store and show him some of the cichlids. They are rather interactive and have that masculine look to them. Something like a green terror or an oscar might catch his attention.

Or you could swap parents with me. Mine are trying to bribe me to move back in with them by allowing me to get more tanks, a dog, and more lizards.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigroscr

Lol!! I have two dogs, 2 guinea pigs and a chinchilla and 8 tanks including my hermit crabs. I love all my animals but trust me when I say this my fish are definitely the easiest of all my animals to care for!! You don't have to worry about 100's of dollars of vet bills and yearly shots licenses and tags every year! Plus fish can't chew up your favorite comforter or shoes or wake you up in the middle of the night barfing cuz they got into something they shouldn't have!! I wouldn't trade any of my animals I love them all and I'm glad I have them but IMO my fish are the easiest to care for.
Good point

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could go at it from the science / educational angle. Talk to him about what you have learned about water chemistry, nitrate cycle, biology... tell him about all the knowledge you've gained / are gaining with keeping fish. Parents love that stuff! You could even go as far as getting really technical and detailed, bore him with the details (all the while sounding passionate about it), and eventually he might cave!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you accept to have great grades he will be cooperative. If you already have good grades, then pour that on the table. And for adult, the best way to convince someone is do your research. Check for price, compatible fish and The process. Then when its all done, show it to him, not before. Don't even talk about it anymore. Use aquarium are not that expensive. Show it to him when he is happy and has time to look true you your research.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do What Kids do Best... Cry and Pout? Might just work for yeah.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigroscr

Lol!! I have two dogs, 2 guinea pigs and a chinchilla and 8 tanks including my hermit crabs. I love all my animals but trust me when I say this my fish are definitely the easiest of all my animals to care for!! You don't have to worry about 100's of dollars of vet bills and yearly shots licenses and tags every year! Plus fish can't chew up your favorite comforter or shoes or wake you up in the middle of the night barfing cuz they got into something they shouldn't have!! I wouldn't trade any of my animals I love them all and I'm glad I have them but IMO my fish are the easiest to care for.
Just because its easier and cheaper doesnt mean its better. I love fish, i belong to this website after all, that should say something but i think of fish as a hobby and dogs as family.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are old enough to drive tell him you want a 1965 mustang with a 289 in it but will settle of the fish tank.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
But my dad doesn't want me to have one at his house because of the reasons above
If your father doesn't want a fish tank at his house, you need to respect that.

I have a stepson who spends most of his time at his mother's because she's the primary. If he wanted a fish tank at our house, I know that I would spend my time taking care of it because he's not there enough.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to The Lounge.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
If you are old enough to drive tell him you want a 1965 mustang with a 289 in it but will settle of the fish tank.
Ha! Nice one.

Also, piggybacking on the first reply, regarding the logic of "boring"; It also stands to reason that you could gain some leverage on that one with, "Boring? Really? Is that why the Monterey Bay Aquarium pulls in about $45,000,000 per year, on admission alone?"

Mind you, that might also get you grounded until you're 30.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com