How to get your fish used to you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessfreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I got 5 silver dollar fish about a week ago, and they are terrified of me. It's been a week so I thought they would've gotten used to me by now. Please help!

Offer them just a little food everytime you go near tank..
They will learn where the food comes from and run to you eventually...
WARNING ; My rams splash me if I don't feed them quick enough, you may eventually get wet...:eek:

A couple of my predominate fish in my community tank use to be that way, then I added some heavy plants and structure, now they take cover every time I come over and open the lid.They are missing out on 1st choice of the falling and floating food because of it.

Do u have any kinda light on ur tank? If it's on alot they will shy away. Fish like dark waters there feel safer. And try feeding them with the lights out. Or even if it's bright in the room they might not like it. Try simple things. And think like a fish. ? hope this helps ya.

Lol! U will laugh so much if it works, it should. I got My baby angels yesterday. Had my lights on and they did nothing but hide in corners. Lights off and they rise up slowly. Lol! It's so funny. It makes me wanta play with the light. It's that funny. Lol! ?

Jess, no SD fish will ever totally settle down, it's not in their nature. Once they do calm down
enough, they will attack any morsel of food dropped into the tank. Not many crumbs will make it to the bottom. I've had a large school of Maculatus SD' s for at least six years, my favorites.

They've calmed down a little bit. They're my favorite too! I love them because they look like Piranhas!

I think it's been the combination of providing more hiding places for them, keeping the lights out for most of the day, and feeding them more often.

They are Piranhas. Just plant eating ones. I think they look better than most of the carnivorous piranhas. Can't buy those in Oklahoma anymore.

Attachments

• 20170525_200336.jpg
    20170525_200336.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom