Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I read through this thread and I've got to say, I would love to do what you are doing thing fish. You are and inspiration. Maybe when I get a job I can do what you are doing to the two local Petco's and three local Petsmart's in and around Greensboro.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive had some good opportunities to advise people on their tanks. one thing that i am noticing is that many/most of the people coming in are running tanks of 10 gallons or less, and wanting fish that are completely unrealistic.

a guy came in the other day wanting a pleco for his 2.5 gallon betta tank to control the algae he was seeing. i managed to talk him out of that and sold him a snail. also told him to get the tank away from the window.

honestly, there are a lot of times talking to a customer where i cringe. i have had to sell a few fish i did not want to sell, but only did so after advising against it with reasons why.

the fact is, some people just do not want to listen. they want what they want and good advice just goes in one ear and out the other.

as far as the tank maintenance at the store, i am pleased. they actually keep up with it...30-40% water changes each week.

however, the betta cups are changed out once a week. that really ought to be increased. i would like to see that go to 2x/week very soon. when i changed out their cups last week, i tested the water in them. i had to use test strips as that is all the bob's will allow at the moment, and found their water was at 1 ppm of ammonia. the problem is that they have waaaay too many bettas. they dont even order them. there is no control over how many they receive. they have around 200 at any given time. changing them all out takes a while.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing fish View Post
ive had some good opportunities to advise people on their tanks. one thing that i am noticing is that many/most of the people coming in are running tanks of 10 gallons or less, and wanting fish that are completely unrealistic.

a guy came in the other day wanting a pleco for his 2.5 gallon betta tank to control the algae he was seeing. i managed to talk him out of that and sold him a snail. also told him to get the tank away from the window.

honestly, there are a lot of times talking to a customer where i cringe. i have had to sell a few fish i did not want to sell, but only did so after advising against it with reasons why.

the fact is, some people just do not want to listen. they want what they want and good advice just goes in one ear and out the other.

as far as the tank maintenance at the store, i am pleased. they actually keep up with it...30-40% water changes each week.

however, the betta cups are changed out once a week. that really ought to be increased. i would like to see that go to 2x/week very soon. when i changed out their cups last week, i tested the water in them. i had to use test strips as that is all the bob's will allow at the moment, and found their water was at 1 ppm of ammonia. the problem is that they have waaaay too many bettas. they dont even order them. there is no control over how many they receive. they have around 200 at any given time. changing them all out takes a while.
Ugh, I hate when I'm at ***** or ******and hear people asking for cichlids to go in there neon tetra tank, or people asking for Oscars for a 10g. I am glad you are cleaning out the Betta bowls, could you ask the manager to lower the order down a little? Little thing's can make a huge difference. A Betta petition might work, on change.org.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak

the people at the store do not order the bettas. they are just randomly shipped in from corporate.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
the people at the store do not order the bettas. they are just randomly shipped in from corporate.

Somehow I find that hard to believe. Someone somewhere is keeping track of how many you get shipped in. That's a disorganized business if it's random.

Caleb
Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Freak

i did ask the manager why they kept so many bettas in stock and was told that they do not order them and that they are just shipped to the store. sure, somebody somewhere must be tracking sales and shipments...but who that is, i have no idea.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i did ask the manager why they kept so many bettas in stock and was told that they do not order them and that they are just shipped to the store. sure, somebody somewhere must be tracking sales and shipments...but who that is, i have no idea.

Just one of those that is out of your control.

Caleb
Old 06-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with bulk buy discounts or some quota that was put in place with the seller. It's probably cheaper to have the loss vs. Less numbers on the order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
honestly, there are a lot of times talking to a customer where i cringe.

Welcome to America and dealing with customers(most are grossly under educated about what they are doing{especially with their money!})?
If you actually offer valid intelligent info some may say your aggressive or think you know it all?
Some really don't want to know and when they fail , they will be off to the next "adventure".
Good luck with those humans!!
Brookster nailed why they show up!
even if 500 out 1000 die the price is still cheaper(shipping $$$$folks....)to kill em!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah, that makes a lot of sense about shipping in bulk and being more profitable despite the dead loss. that really sucks, though. the company is always talking about the animals coming first, but at least with aquatics, that is not always the case.

what is funny is that i do not give a crap about making money for the store. i only want to give what i think is good advice. i really enjoy talking about fish with customers, telling them about cycling, etc. some of them actually listen.

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com