Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bagging crickets and doing other jobs is all part of it. The employees in my area do all of those jobs on a daily basis. Hang in there 👍🏼think of all the fish you have saved from tiny tanks 👏🏼

On the guy with the Oscar, teach him how to read lol even the little cards by the tank say a 40g I think for ONE.

Caleb

Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #122
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Bagging crickets and doing other jobs is all part of it. The employees in my area do all of those jobs on a daily basis. Hang in there 👍🏼think of all the fish you have saved from tiny tanks 👏🏼

On the guy with the Oscar, teach him how to read lol even the little cards by the tank say a 40g I think for ONE.

Caleb

That's what I was wondering. Don't people read the cards at all....

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Most are unaware how small the bags bettas come in are!
They make the cup look like a mansion!
they really aren't that horrible when you consider the conditions these fish evolved to live in. Long term yes, a few days, no problem at all.
Plus do you have any idea how much it costs to ship water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing fish View Post
i thought the cups were bad....the little bags are just plain sickening. i am honestly not sure how long i can hold out with this job. stuff like that just makes me want to find another way to make extra money.
I tried to warn you.
If you are going to be in the game, understand it is a business.
Like I said before if you are sincere about making a change, than don't complain about the other tasks, volunteer for them.
In order for you to be able to even remotely achieve any of the things you want in that store you need to stand out as an excellent employee and garner the respect, confidence and hopefully position to be able to make a change.
Until then you are another low wage hourly employee that can be replaced within 3 days. It is up to you and you alone to change that and then maybe you can begin to make the changes you feel are needed.

but why all the angst over the fish?
Often the birds and mammals are not treated too great either and they at least have a nervous system/brain that can actually reflect on that situation whereas fish don't. you should be championing for all the animals.

Personally I wouldn't work in a pet stores because of how the other animals are treated much more so than fish.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #124

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
they really aren't that horrible when you consider the conditions these fish evolved to live in. Long term yes, a few days, no problem at all.

I tried to warn you.
Like I said before if you are sincere about making a change, than don't complain about the other tasks, volunteer for them.
In order for you to be able to even remotely achieve any of the things you want in that store you need to stand out as an excellent employee and garner the respect, confidence and hopefully position to be able to make a change.
Until then you are another low wage hourly employee that can be replaced within 3 days. It is up to you and you alone to change that and then maybe you can begin to make the changes you feel are needed.

Often the birds and mammals are not treated too great either and they at least have a nervous system/brain that can actually reflect on that situation whereas fish don't. you should be championing for all the animals.

Personally I wouldn't work in a pet stores because of how the other animals are treated much more so than fish.
Soap box preeching.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post

I tried to warn you.

+10000000

When I worked in fast food, I simply did what I was told and went out of my way to clean stuff during slow hours. Over time that reflected on the managers and I was able to pick the position I wanted to be in and take more frequent breaks instead of dealing with the sometimes nasty customers.

Be a good little employee and shine above the rest and it won't take long before management notices your initiative.

Caleb
Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaRyno View Post
Soap box preeching.

No, sitting at my desk preaching.
at least spell it correctly
Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #127

POTM Champion

Your right im too stupid to spell. I didnt disagree with ya, dude. Ive done a lil soap box preaching in my day. Lol. Dont be so quick to attack.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Your right im too stupid to spell. I didnt disagree with ya, dude. Ive done a lil soap box preaching in my day. Lol. Dont be so quick to attack.

please explain the comment then, because it would be taken by 99.99% of the population as anything but agreement.

and I didn't attack you, I corrected you.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #129

POTM Champion

Im typing on my phone with fat fingers. I apologize for the mis type. I was trying to type good soap box preaching. I didnt realize the good wasnt there. The only thing at all i dont align with you on is the whole fall in line and be a good lil employee. I agree its a good way to move forward. But that movement is too slow. As an executive chef with many employees i try to implant the idea of an extra set of eyes and opinions is crucial for forward movement. Otherwise you tend tto stay stagnate, And growth and improvement take the slow lane. I understand the boat is sailing. Dont rock it. But maybe its getting rocked from the back because it can go faster. As a boss or company it should be a duty to listen as well as command. Im sorry it came out as being a butt. Im a blunt person and im workin on it. Lol by the way water is aprx 8.4lbs per gallon. And yes it can be expensive to ship. But if big box doesnt have a postal deal in place with any company then thats their fault and maybe a quiet employee could have helped them figure that out. I breed and ship many different types of fish and i have a flat deal with my usps.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Im typing on my phone with fat fingers. I apologize for the mis type. I was trying to type good soap box preaching. I didnt realize the good wasnt there. The only thing at all i dont align with you on is the whole fall in line and be a good lil employee. I agree its a good way to move forward. But that movement is too slow. As an executive chef with many employees i try to implant the idea of an extra set of eyes and opinions is crucial for forward movement. Otherwise you tend tto stay stagnate, And growth and improvement take the slow lane. I understand the boat is sailing. Dont rock it. But maybe its getting rocked from the back because it can go faster. As a boss or company it should be a duty to listen as well as command. Im sorry it came out as being a butt. Im a blunt person and im workin on it. Lol by the way water is aprx 8.4lbs per gallon. And yes it can be expensive to ship. But if big box doesnt have a postal deal in place with any company then thats their fault and maybe a quiet employee could have helped them figure that out. I breed and ship many different types of fish and i have a flat deal with my usps.

fair enough
my advice/opinions are based on over 20 years working retail, ~15 of those in management positions, including running a lfs.

I'll relate one story.
I went to work for a home improvement chain after the lfs closed. I was hired for the paint dept. as just another grunt. I started to gather carts on my way to work, spent idle time cleaning, reading product brochures and familiarizing myself with the store in general.
After less than 2 months the lumber yard manager requested I be transferred to his dept because he needed a new assistant.
I did the same in that dept., learned the ropes and starting taking the initiative to get stuff done, often volunteering for the worst jobs; cutting 20 sheets of 3/4" particle board (before it was illegal), cleaning up concrete, etc., etc..

Within 3 months of being hired I was the lumber yard assistant manager, within 6 months I was the yard manager, passing up/pissing off 4 other people along the way and all I did was my job+ a little extra and showed an interest in moving up.

More soap boxing but hopefully it illustrates my point.
If the OP wants to affect change in the way the store conducts business, he HAS TO convince others that he is able to.
the only way to do that is by working.

rebels rarely advance in retail chain stores.

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com