Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

lots of changes have been made and continue to be made, but a person still has to understand the realities of it being a business.
30+ odd years ago when I was running a store, I would venture a guess that 50% or better of the freshwater fish we got were wild caught and 100% of the salt critters were wild caught.
Now a lot more fresh water species are not wild caught and great strides have been made in breeding saltwater fish and inverts.

I actually had a pair of some of the first ever tank raised clownfish thanks to a connection who worked for Instant Ocean who was one of the pioneers in breeding salt water back then.

Trust me, I groan internally all the time visiting stores not only because of how the critters are handled, but also how the business is actually run.
I even suggested in a Yelp review that one owner should sell the store because countless fish lives would be saved if he did, so I totally understand the sentiments expressed here.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #142

POTM Champion

Much respect andy. I get it. I truly do. Ill quit putting my 2 cents in. Its obviously always wrong, lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #143

POTM Champion

I will add this before i leave the thread. My mom has been doing this my whole life. Shes half owner of an LFS in her town. So i was raised around this. Just wanted to say that so i can stop being told if id just understand the reality of this business. Because i understand, its in the fam.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaRyno View Post
Much respect andy. I get it. I truly do. Ill quit putting my 2 cents in. Its obviously always wrong, lol.

Please understand, I'm not saying your comments are wrong only that they are incomplete or need further explanation. Having been in both wholesale and retail personally, I know that there is a big difference between the 2. I learned a heck of a lot more about the business as a wholesaler as that's where the "nuts and bolts" are put together.
As for the OP, it sounds like he is discouraged that change doesn't happen over night. It just doesn't work that way in business.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey you guys ,

Capitalist sucks,deal with it
What about that little bass in the feeders.I had one back in the day it died bummer , I loved that little fish.

Thingfish said he's a school teacher , who's picking up some extra cash to buy a truck.He knows how the system works . He works for the man.

He likes to have a couple cold ones and tell us about what he's learning working at big box store for extra cash.

I love this thread and respect every one who's posted, but we're all the same side with extra opinions nice up and
what about the sunfish going to put in your 45? I would .
Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This lively debate is vering off away from the OP's topic.

Lets refocus back to subject at hand. Thing Fish and the fish store job, pros and cons and the trip along the way. Thank you everyone.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure where I implied that I expected things to change overnight; I am simply sharing observations and at times venting about things that are frustrating...I do appreciate all the constructive criticism/advice, as well as the suggestions from people with retail experience.

As for the sunfish, it is gone. Somebody bought it to keep with cichlids. I am still debating what to do with the 46 bow.

Headed back to the store for a 5 hour shift tonight. Hopefully they will let me do some tank maintenance. The manager spoke with me yesterday, saying that she has made another hire, and will soon be able to allow me to spend most of my time in the fish department. In the meantime, I am learning as much as I can about the other areas of the store.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing fish View Post
I'm not sure where I implied that I expected things to change overnight; I am simply sharing observations and at times venting about things that are frustrating...I do appreciate all the constructive criticism/advice, as well as the suggestions from people with retail experience.

As for the sunfish, it is gone. Somebody bought it to keep with cichlids. I am still debating what to do with the 46 bow.

Headed back to the store for a 5 hour shift tonight. Hopefully they will let me do some tank maintenance. The manager spoke with me yesterday, saying that she has made another hire, and will soon be able to allow me to spend most of my time in the fish department. In the meantime, I am learning as much as I can about the other areas of the store.

I believe they were referring to the very beginning of the thread where you sorta implied that you wanted to make changes very quickly.

Caleb
Old 06-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Freak

That was before I even started here...at that time, I was under the impression that the department was a total disaster. Since starting there, I realize that the tanks are getting good maintenance...the disease present when I first started was due to a returned fish that did not go through quarantine.

I did help one thing change quickly; the bettas are now getting 2 100% water changes a week...it had been only once a week. What I am concerned with lately are the people that are wanting fish for aesthetic purposes, not taking the time to research what will work and what will not. I know that will not change, but I am at least in position to plant the seed in peoples' minds, and help to steer them in the right direction. I am also aware of there being things that I will never be able to change.

Anyway, I am punching in in 30 minutes. There will have been a new shipment of fish this morning, so I am interested to see what was ordered and what little surprise shipments were made.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com