Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know each store varies but one of my local chains recently started getting flowerhorns I told them to not even sell them because I doubt most people want it to kill or terrorize their other fish.

Caleb

Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately, I spent 4 of my 5 hours shift back on computer training...with a little time helping customers in aquatics, and a little time on the register.

I do have a couple questions about bettas to throw out there. I can always go to another sub forum but I will ask here first.

I saw a product at the store called a 'betta exercise ball'. it is a floating ball that has a mirror attached to it, causing the betta to flare up at its reflection. i have limited experience with bettas, and my concern about this product is that it may cause the fish stress. perhaps it would be interesting to use for a few minutes here and there, maybe for getting interesting photos, but that it probably should not be overused. Does flaring cause them unneeded stress?

That brings me to my next question. One of the store's betta displays has little dividers/walls between each betta cup, keeping them from seeing each other. The other setup, however, does not have these dividers. These fish are quite often flaring at each other. Should I look into adding dividers? Would that help them be healthier/less stressed?

Oh and I should add that the store has a good amount of convicts up for sale that were brought in from a customer that bred them and had more than he could handle. That is a pretty good deal for the store, assuming the fish are healthy, which they are, in this case.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting.. I'd have to agree on the ball.. few minutes here and there but I feel it would stress them over time.

Convicts breed worse than rabbits. Hope you sell a lot of them.

You could do female bettas in the area they can see each other. That's what my chain store did. Much less flaring.

Caleb
Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

one of the lfs stores I go to has both clear and black dividers between their bettas and if a customer is interested in a particular one they remove the black divider to show off the fish. that works out pretty good IMO.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #155
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are too many males, they take up 75% of the total space. What I could do is put a female in between the males. I bet that would help.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:45 AM   #156
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
one of the lfs stores I go to has both clear and black dividers between their bettas and if a customer is interested in a particular one they remove the black divider to show off the fish. that works out pretty good IMO.
sounds like a cool setup.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I was in retail and my customers were looking for Bettas, I actually told the people to look for fish that were flaring and building nests in their containers. Those are signs of a healthy fish.
Regarding the mirror issue, once a Male displays and shows off his "stuff" they will usually calm down on their own when they realize the other male is not a threat to their territory. It's not as bad a stressor as one would believe because this is what the fish was designed for. That said, it would be a good indicator for you to see which fish need more attention or are not as healthy so that you can address the issue. Using a female as a divider between males is actually going to cause more issues than the mirror as the males will constantly be flaring and displaying causing them to be using more energy and requiring more food and maintenance. I would suggest using the opaque dividers over using females if that's the route you want to go.

Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Freak

very helpful...thank you
Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Back to the toy/mirror thing.
I'm not convinced the smaller mirror provides more then "flashes" like in nature(from other fish...).
I have spoke with some great betta keepers who say the yreally do play with toys!
I would use whatever is for sale somewhere the customer can see it if it works and is good!
Give a couple a toy and find out!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #160
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I used to have a mirror in a betta tank years ago and thought he was more curious then anything. Flared a little but after a while used to just swim around it.

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com