How to Improve Big Pet Store Chains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they just called back and said they have me entered into the system and i can start working. they have me starting on thursday, but i think the first couple days are computer training.

they just called back and said they have me entered into the system and i can start working. they have me starting on thursday, but i think the first couple days are computer training.

That's funny, I didn't know fish knew how to use computers. ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good luck on your new job. (y)

That's funny, I didn't know fish knew how to use computers. ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good luck on your new job. (y)

I used to have the fishy screen saver on my Packard bell!!! Blublub

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to have the fishy screen saver on my Packard bell!!! Blublub

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yes, but could they use the mouse????? Mine were always swimming in the one direction. I wanted to see something different. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe have to watch 'finding nemo' 10 times...?
I thought that was on TV? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you may have these good intentions and ideas .... but yes I said but :D it will be almost impossible to change things , things may go ok when your there but when your off what you think will happen things will go back to the old ways , hate to say it but no one cares about what you think , in other words don't kill yourself or stress over a big box store and there policy's , cause things are not going to change they might tell you they'll back you but at the end of the day things didn't change in the least ,
it's nice to know you care but it's a lost cause sorry dude
been there done that

you may have these good intentions and ideas .... but yes I said but :D it will be almost impossible to change things , things may go ok when your there but when your off what you think will happen things will go back to the old ways , hate to say it but no one cares about what you think , in other words don't kill yourself or stress over a big box store and there policy's , cause things are not going to change they might tell you they'll back you but at the end of the day things didn't change in the least ,
it's nice to know you care but it's a lost cause sorry dude
been there done that

I am about the furthest thing from a "Rah-Rah" kind of guy there is but here's something to think about: Change, any change, is started by one person with an idea.
Think about this: Where would we be if Bell gave up after his first attempt at the phone? Edison with his light bulb? Columbus when he set sail to the edge of the flat globe? S. Jobs with his computer or Gates with Microsoft? Everyone told these people they were nuts or crazy. But what has happened because they tried?
Sadly, and gladly, I have seen both the positives and negatives of our hobby and the business. Both have had extremes. We all want to complain about the way things are yet how many do anything about it? Here's someone, the OP, trying to do something about it. (y) Whether he fails or succeeds, he's doing something to hopefully elicit change and that should be applauded not dampened. The best way to elicit change is from within a company. Maybe you worked for a company that was short sighted? Maybe the management has changed if you worked at the same place the OP is starting? Maybe enough time has passed that a new way of thinking is part of the company's business model? Any of these things are possible.

Unfortunately, our country, (the U.S.) runs on bad news. If you don't believe me, watch your local newscast and count how many positive stories are told vs negative ones. You may be surprised. But what if you could take a negative and turn it into a positive? Say the OP does eventually get the ear of the right person, and makes a suggestion that benefits both the fish and the customers and the store all at the same time? I would think that would perk up some ears. ;) What if it didn't? There are ways of announcing to the community that the store refused to help it's customers in favor of higher short term profits. The internet, the news, the newspaper, peaceful protests are just a few. ( Let's hope it doesn't come to that :) ) What if the OP becomes such an asset to the company but the only way to keep him is to make some changes? Will it have been worth it? Change doesn't happen immediately but over time. In the meantime, the fish and livestock will have someone there who at least knows enough about them to care for them. That, to me, is a win. (y)

i am curious to see how they respond to me advising shutting down of sales from the group of 12 that has ich. i cannot agree to sell fish from those tanks until the problem is cleared up.

i am curious to see how they respond to me advising shutting down of sales from the group of 12 that has ich. i cannot agree to sell fish from those tanks until the problem is cleared up.

I imagine not Too well. Especially the long process of ich removal.

Caleb

well, this could end up being very short-lived, if that is the case. we will just have to see how it goes. they hired me to get the department back in order.

I would just keep in mind and remind them that a happy customer means more fish bought. An unhappy customer means a bad store review.

Caleb

I would just keep in mind and remind them that a happy customer means more fish bought. An unhappy customer means a bad store review.

Caleb

+1 I used to get fish at petsmart then I got ich in my tank. Not going back to that store for fish ever again because of it.ty

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Installation of a UV sterilizer or ozonizer so that water can be dumped into the same sump but has to go through sterilization before reaching any tank would eliminate that situation and only one tank would be closed down. We did that with a 2500 gal system ( 9-2500 gal systems actually) and had no issues. It's only when water goes from one tank to another unchecked that issues like this become problems. So instead of pulling the plug on 12 tanks, there's an idea you can bring up to your manager to eliminate that need and still have happy customers. ;) Keep in mind that many parasites have multiple stages and the only ones you kill with sterilizers are the ones that are in the free swimming stage. Having medication in the tanks at all times can help kill off other stages but no guarantees. I would still suggest QTing any new fish, even ones from your store, to your customers as a precaution so nothing gets into their tanks.
Hope this helps (y)

I wouldn't let 1 bad experience deter me. Fish get ich, its an unfortunate fact of life in tanks that see a revolving door of stock. Its impossible to fully screen for ich and it may be introduced into any tank. Careful observation prior to purchase is key in having sustainability out of big box stores. 80-90% of the time I do not have issue, quarantining can make these odds even better.

I wouldn't let 1 bad experience deter me. Fish get ich, its an unfortunate fact of life in tanks that see a revolving door of stock. Its impossible to fully screen for ich and it may be introduced into any tank. Careful observation prior to purchase is key in having sustainability out of big box stores. 80-90% of the time I do not have issue, quarantining can make these odds even better.

yeah, but we are talking about selling fish that actually have ich...as well as others that are sharing water with them. i have a hard time justifying that sale.

Ugh! Our LFS treats the tank and puts up a notice on the tank saying it's being treated and they don't advise purchasing from that tank but will sell if you want. We saw the symbol on the tank and asked what was wrong... It was ich. It's cleared up now. Hopefully.

All references to stores were removed. We dont allow negative comments tied straight to commercial names. Please help us out in this situation.

All references to stores were removed. We dont allow negative comments tied straight to commercial names. Please help us out in this situation.

That's the one rule on here I'm kinda on the fence about.

There should be a section where users can rate their experience with stores. I had a horrifying experience at one store here in SC but it had great reviews. I don't want people making they same mistake or at least be prepared to see that things I did.

On the other hand I can see how we don't want to drive people out of business. Then again, we are all about proper fish care here. Shouldn't we be allowed to let the stores have the constructive criticism they deserve?

Caleb

That's the one rule on here I'm kinda on the fence about.

There should be a section where users can rate their experience with stores. I had a horrifying experience at one store here in SC but it had great reviews. I don't want people making they same mistake or at least be prepared to see that things I did.

On the other hand I can see how we don't want to drive people out of business. Then again, we are all about proper fish care here. Shouldn't we be allowed to let the stores have the constructive criticism they deserve?

Caleb

You fail to understand the why's and wherefores.

You as an individual can say whatever you want about a business/person and not run that big of a risk legally.

Aquarium Advice is a public forum and as such could theoretically be held legally liable for publishing remarks that are technically libel and could open up the forum owner to litigation.
Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com
Much easier to just not allow it or delete posts.

I know it is unlikely, but if I was the site owner I wouldn't risk my livelihood so someone can complain about a store.
If you want to complain about a store, that is what Yelp! is for. ;)

You fail to understand the why's and wherefores.

You as an individual can say whatever you want about a business/person and not run that big of a risk legally.

Aquarium Advice is a public forum and as such could theoretically be held legally liable for publishing remarks that are technically libel and could open up the forum owner to litigation.
Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com
Much easier to just not allow it or delete posts.

I know it is unlikely, but if I was the site owner I wouldn't risk my livelihood so someone can complain about a store.
If you want to complain about a store, that is what Yelp! is for. ;)

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom