Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just keep in mind and remind them that a happy customer means more fish bought. An unhappy customer means a bad store review.

Caleb

Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I would just keep in mind and remind them that a happy customer means more fish bought. An unhappy customer means a bad store review.

Caleb
+1 I used to get fish at petsmart then I got ich in my tank. Not going back to that store for fish ever again because of it.ty

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing fish View Post
i am curious to see how they respond to me advising shutting down of sales from the group of 12 that has ich. i cannot agree to sell fish from those tanks until the problem is cleared up.
Installation of a UV sterilizer or ozonizer so that water can be dumped into the same sump but has to go through sterilization before reaching any tank would eliminate that situation and only one tank would be closed down. We did that with a 2500 gal system ( 9-2500 gal systems actually) and had no issues. It's only when water goes from one tank to another unchecked that issues like this become problems. So instead of pulling the plug on 12 tanks, there's an idea you can bring up to your manager to eliminate that need and still have happy customers. Keep in mind that many parasites have multiple stages and the only ones you kill with sterilizers are the ones that are in the free swimming stage. Having medication in the tanks at all times can help kill off other stages but no guarantees. I would still suggest QTing any new fish, even ones from your store, to your customers as a precaution so nothing gets into their tanks.
Hope this helps
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't let 1 bad experience deter me. Fish get ich, its an unfortunate fact of life in tanks that see a revolving door of stock. Its impossible to fully screen for ich and it may be introduced into any tank. Careful observation prior to purchase is key in having sustainability out of big box stores. 80-90% of the time I do not have issue, quarantining can make these odds even better.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
I wouldn't let 1 bad experience deter me. Fish get ich, its an unfortunate fact of life in tanks that see a revolving door of stock. Its impossible to fully screen for ich and it may be introduced into any tank. Careful observation prior to purchase is key in having sustainability out of big box stores. 80-90% of the time I do not have issue, quarantining can make these odds even better.
yeah, but we are talking about selling fish that actually have ich...as well as others that are sharing water with them. i have a hard time justifying that sale.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing fish View Post
i am curious to see how they respond to me advising shutting down of sales from the group of 12 that has ich. i cannot agree to sell fish from those tanks until the problem is cleared up.
Ugh! Our LFS treats the tank and puts up a notice on the tank saying it's being treated and they don't advise purchasing from that tank but will sell if you want. We saw the symbol on the tank and asked what was wrong... It was ich. It's cleared up now. Hopefully.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #57
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

All references to stores were removed. We dont allow negative comments tied straight to commercial names. Please help us out in this situation.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
All references to stores were removed. We dont allow negative comments tied straight to commercial names. Please help us out in this situation.

That's the one rule on here I'm kinda on the fence about.

There should be a section where users can rate their experience with stores. I had a horrifying experience at one store here in SC but it had great reviews. I don't want people making they same mistake or at least be prepared to see that things I did.

On the other hand I can see how we don't want to drive people out of business. Then again, we are all about proper fish care here. Shouldn't we be allowed to let the stores have the constructive criticism they deserve?

Caleb
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
That's the one rule on here I'm kinda on the fence about.

There should be a section where users can rate their experience with stores. I had a horrifying experience at one store here in SC but it had great reviews. I don't want people making they same mistake or at least be prepared to see that things I did.

On the other hand I can see how we don't want to drive people out of business. Then again, we are all about proper fish care here. Shouldn't we be allowed to let the stores have the constructive criticism they deserve?

Caleb
You fail to understand the why's and wherefores.

You as an individual can say whatever you want about a business/person and not run that big of a risk legally.

Aquarium Advice is a public forum and as such could theoretically be held legally liable for publishing remarks that are technically libel and could open up the forum owner to litigation.
Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com
Much easier to just not allow it or delete posts.

I know it is unlikely, but if I was the site owner I wouldn't risk my livelihood so someone can complain about a store.
If you want to complain about a store, that is what Yelp! is for.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #60
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
You fail to understand the why's and wherefores.

You as an individual can say whatever you want about a business/person and not run that big of a risk legally.

Aquarium Advice is a public forum and as such could theoretically be held legally liable for publishing remarks that are technically libel and could open up the forum owner to litigation.
Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com
Much easier to just not allow it or delete posts.

I know it is unlikely, but if I was the site owner I wouldn't risk my livelihood so someone can complain about a store.
If you want to complain about a store, that is what Yelp! is for.
Thank you

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com