Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
You fail to understand the why's and wherefores.

You as an individual can say whatever you want about a business/person and not run that big of a risk legally.

Aquarium Advice is a public forum and as such could theoretically be held legally liable for publishing remarks that are technically libel and could open up the forum owner to litigation.
Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com
Much easier to just not allow it or delete posts.

I know it is unlikely, but if I was the site owner I wouldn't risk my livelihood so someone can complain about a store.
If you want to complain about a store, that is what Yelp! is for.

I understand the standpoint of it but the article uses different situations as to be expected. If you say a coworker did something they didn't do and get them fired YES that's on you, but if the coworker in fact did display inappropriate behavior then that's their fault and likely more than just one person will be talking about it. It seems like defaming is just protecting the careless and irresponsible.

This store that I went into, many of you would have had a conniption and blown a gasket. The article was going under the basis of if what was said was UNTRUE. This was very real, the stench was real, the carelessness was real. Anyone who has common sense and walked into that store would agree. I'd say if anything it's deserved defaming.

The opinion on stores of users does not represent the view of AA as a whole. That's the whole purpose of user reviews. The site/forum does not stand by the viewpoint merely contains the comment in writing.

Caleb

Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I understand the standpoint of it but the article uses different situations as to be expected. If you say a coworker did something they didn't do and get them fired YES that's on you, but if the coworker in fact did display inappropriate behavior then that's their fault and likely more than just one person will be talking about it. It seems like defaming is just protecting the careless and irresponsible.

This store that I went into, many of you would have had a conniption and blown a gasket. The article was going under the basis of if what was said was UNTRUE. This was very real, the stench was real, the carelessness was real. Anyone who has common sense and walked into that store would agree. I'd say if anything it's deserved defaming.

The opinion on stores of users does not represent the view of AA as a whole. That's the whole purpose of user reviews. The site/forum does not stand by the viewpoint merely contains the comment in writing.

Caleb
You may be 100% correct. But the owner of the forum does not want to spend thousands of dollars proving you are correct (which you are). AA owns all the material on this website, regardless who "posts" it. It's best to just avoid that situation completely. As many lawyers tell me, it's never a problem until it's a problem.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #63

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
You may be 100% correct. But the owner of the forum does not want to spend thousands of dollars proving you are correct (which you are). AA owns all the material on this website, regardless who "posts" it. It's best to just avoid that situation completely. As many lawyers tell me, it's never a problem until it's a problem.
I am curious then, as to the purpose behind the retail store section of the classifieds? Plenty of negatives in there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post

But is that why disclaimers are made? "This forum does not support or represent the views and thoughts of its users."

Caleb
Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Caleb
are you going to pay the legal fees if AA has to defend YOUR remarks?

Remember, you voicing your opinions here is a PRIVILEGE offered to you by the site owner, it is not your RIGHT to post here.

from the standpoint of the owner, it's a lot easier to not allow it, delete posts and ban members.

like I said, if you feel that strongly about, post reviews on Yelp and other LOCAL sites so that people in your area who may actually care will see it.

I recently posted a scathing review of a lfs and ended it by saying he should sell the business and save countless fish lives by doing so, so I totally get where you are coming from, but know your audience.

Posting complaints here is just complaining.
and the best vote you can cast is with your wallet.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
But is that why disclaimers are made? "This forum does not support or represent the views and thoughts of its users."

Caleb
technically yes, but do YOU feel like wading through the legal quagmire that could potentially be stirred up?
If you read the sticky/guidelines for that section, it pretty clearly spells it out and makes mention of other sites being involved with legal action over post content, so.......
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
technically yes, but do YOU feel like wading through the legal quagmire that could potentially be stirred up?
If you read the sticky/guidelines for that section, it pretty clearly spells it out and makes mention of other sites being involved with legal action over post content, so.......

Ehh I digress... But that one I visited yesterday... I would have taken legal action to have him shut down it was a nightmare in a little roadside store.

Caleb
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anywho, to the OP;
If you go into it guns blazing and on fire to change everything, you will hit a wall.
You should go in, observe, suggest and learn the $$$ numbers for the department.
Learn what the average $$ amount is for each sale for the department. Learn how it compares to the other departments. If you are in a store that makes 90% of it's sales on dog related items, all your enthusiasm will be for naught unless you can shift those percentages.

If you want to implement the changes you desire, first you need to make those changes worthwhile to the store from a financial perspective. Figure out the potential $$$ loss from those infected tanks, extrapolate over time and figure out how long some type of sterilization setup would take to pay for itself and begin to impact profitability.

Think of ways to increase the average sale in your department by 5% and you will be noticed for sure. bump it by 10% and you will manage the place, any more and you will be a on a fast track to move up.
That is what they want, a profitable store and if you can show how implementing your changes will result in a stronger bottom line, great, if not, don't be surprised when you get shut down.

Tropical fish as a business is an entirely different animal than keeping tanks at home.
If you don't like dealing with dead/sick fish, find another job.
Also be aware that the buyer probably never sees 99.99% of the fish in the stores, he just picks up a phone and places orders. what you can do to help is keep tabs on what fish sell through within 2 weeks and which ones don't. Any fish that doesn't sell within one/two weeks is losing the store $$.

Tellin' ya, increase the average sale in your department by 5% or better FIRST and you will have a much easier time implementing the changes you feel need to be made.
Increase the sales by 25% and you will probably be given free reign over the department.

I understand your enthusiasm, but you need to focus on the business realities in order to have any hope of changing things.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Anywho, to the OP;
If you go into it guns blazing and on fire to change everything, you will hit a wall.
You should go in, observe, suggest and learn the $$$ numbers for the department.
Learn what the average $$ amount is for each sale for the department. Learn how it compares to the other departments. If you are in a store that makes 90% of it's sales on dog related items, all your enthusiasm will be for naught unless you can shift those percentages.

If you want to implement the changes you desire, first you need to make those changes worthwhile to the store from a financial perspective. Figure out the potential $$$ loss from those infected tanks, extrapolate over time and figure out how long some type of sterilization setup would take to pay for itself and begin to impact profitability.

Think of ways to increase the average sale in your department by 5% and you will be noticed for sure. bump it by 10% and you will manage the place, any more and you will be a on a fast track to move up.
That is what they want, a profitable store and if you can show how implementing your changes will result in a stronger bottom line, great, if not, don't be surprised when you get shut down.

Tropical fish as a business is an entirely different animal than keeping tanks at home.
If you don't like dealing with dead/sick fish, find another job.
Also be aware that the buyer probably never sees 99.99% of the fish in the stores, he just picks up a phone and places orders. what you can do to help is keep tabs on what fish sell through within 2 weeks and which ones don't. Any fish that doesn't sell within one/two weeks is losing the store $$.

Tellin' ya, increase the average sale in your department by 5% or better FIRST and you will have a much easier time implementing the changes you feel need to be made.
Increase the sales by 25% and you will probably be given free reign over the department.

I understand your enthusiasm, but you need to focus on the business realities in order to have any hope of changing things.
+1 100% Having been employed in both profitable and non profitable pet shops, I know that making the store money is what gets changes made. I proved to my employers that there were profitable and ethical ways to do this. Shutting down banks of tanks because of sick fish in one will not sit as well as explaining how another way can keep customers and the other healthy fish salable and that all leads to $$$. Keep this in mind as you blaze your trail.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Posting complaints here is just complaining.
and the best vote you can cast is with your wallet.
^^THIS^^!

Whenever a dispute or difference in "opinion" take place a resolution/reconciliation ,even possibly restitution must be made.
Often we(I ) may be unsatisfied with this or that.
If I can not find "reasonable" resolution/reconciliation/restitution,then never not another penny again!
NEVER!
There are far too many choices in this world(and this is what "it "is all about).
Choices!
Watch what you say, and DON'T give your money to those you can not "work" with or share similar values with.

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com