How to Improve Big Pet Store Chains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lots of changes have been made and continue to be made, but a person still has to understand the realities of it being a business.
30+ odd years ago when I was running a store, I would venture a guess that 50% or better of the freshwater fish we got were wild caught and 100% of the salt critters were wild caught.
Now a lot more fresh water species are not wild caught and great strides have been made in breeding saltwater fish and inverts.

I actually had a pair of some of the first ever tank raised clownfish thanks to a connection who worked for Instant Ocean who was one of the pioneers in breeding salt water back then.

Trust me, I groan internally all the time visiting stores not only because of how the critters are handled, but also how the business is actually run.
I even suggested in a Yelp review that one owner should sell the store because countless fish lives would be saved if he did, so I totally understand the sentiments expressed here.

Much respect andy. I get it. I truly do. Ill quit putting my 2 cents in. Its obviously always wrong, lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will add this before i leave the thread. My mom has been doing this my whole life. Shes half owner of an LFS in her town. So i was raised around this. Just wanted to say that so i can stop being told if id just understand the reality of this business. Because i understand, its in the fam.

Much respect andy. I get it. I truly do. Ill quit putting my 2 cents in. Its obviously always wrong, lol.

Please understand, I'm not saying your comments are wrong only that they are incomplete or need further explanation. Having been in both wholesale and retail personally, I know that there is a big difference between the 2. I learned a heck of a lot more about the business as a wholesaler as that's where the "nuts and bolts" are put together.
As for the OP, it sounds like he is discouraged that change doesn't happen over night. It just doesn't work that way in business. :huh:

Hey you guys ,

Capitalist sucks,deal with it
What about that little bass in the feeders.I had one back in the day it died bummer , I loved that little fish.

Thingfish said he's a school teacher , who's picking up some extra cash to buy a truck.He knows how the system works . He works for the man.

He likes to have a couple cold ones and tell us about what he's learning working at big box store for extra cash.

I love this thread and respect every one who's posted, but we're all the same side with extra opinions nice up and
what about the sunfish going to put in your 45? I would .

Last edited by a moderator:
This lively debate is vering off away from the OP's topic.

Lets refocus back to subject at hand. Thing Fish and the fish store job, pros and cons and the trip along the way. Thank you everyone.

I'm not sure where I implied that I expected things to change overnight; I am simply sharing observations and at times venting about things that are frustrating...I do appreciate all the constructive criticism/advice, as well as the suggestions from people with retail experience.

As for the sunfish, it is gone. Somebody bought it to keep with cichlids. I am still debating what to do with the 46 bow.

Headed back to the store for a 5 hour shift tonight. Hopefully they will let me do some tank maintenance. The manager spoke with me yesterday, saying that she has made another hire, and will soon be able to allow me to spend most of my time in the fish department. In the meantime, I am learning as much as I can about the other areas of the store.

I'm not sure where I implied that I expected things to change overnight; I am simply sharing observations and at times venting about things that are frustrating...I do appreciate all the constructive criticism/advice, as well as the suggestions from people with retail experience.

As for the sunfish, it is gone. Somebody bought it to keep with cichlids. I am still debating what to do with the 46 bow.

Headed back to the store for a 5 hour shift tonight. Hopefully they will let me do some tank maintenance. The manager spoke with me yesterday, saying that she has made another hire, and will soon be able to allow me to spend most of my time in the fish department. In the meantime, I am learning as much as I can about the other areas of the store.

I believe they were referring to the very beginning of the thread where you sorta implied that you wanted to make changes very quickly.

Caleb

That was before I even started here...at that time, I was under the impression that the department was a total disaster. Since starting there, I realize that the tanks are getting good maintenance...the disease present when I first started was due to a returned fish that did not go through quarantine.

I did help one thing change quickly; the bettas are now getting 2 100% water changes a week...it had been only once a week. What I am concerned with lately are the people that are wanting fish for aesthetic purposes, not taking the time to research what will work and what will not. I know that will not change, but I am at least in position to plant the seed in peoples' minds, and help to steer them in the right direction. I am also aware of there being things that I will never be able to change.

Anyway, I am punching in in 30 minutes. There will have been a new shipment of fish this morning, so I am interested to see what was ordered and what little surprise shipments were made.

I know each store varies but one of my local chains recently started getting flowerhorns :( I told them to not even sell them because I doubt most people want it to kill or terrorize their other fish.

Caleb

Unfortunately, I spent 4 of my 5 hours shift back on computer training...with a little time helping customers in aquatics, and a little time on the register.

I do have a couple questions about bettas to throw out there. I can always go to another sub forum but I will ask here first.

I saw a product at the store called a 'betta exercise ball'. it is a floating ball that has a mirror attached to it, causing the betta to flare up at its reflection. i have limited experience with bettas, and my concern about this product is that it may cause the fish stress. perhaps it would be interesting to use for a few minutes here and there, maybe for getting interesting photos, but that it probably should not be overused. Does flaring cause them unneeded stress?

That brings me to my next question. One of the store's betta displays has little dividers/walls between each betta cup, keeping them from seeing each other. The other setup, however, does not have these dividers. These fish are quite often flaring at each other. Should I look into adding dividers? Would that help them be healthier/less stressed?

Oh and I should add that the store has a good amount of convicts up for sale that were brought in from a customer that bred them and had more than he could handle. That is a pretty good deal for the store, assuming the fish are healthy, which they are, in this case.

Interesting.. I'd have to agree on the ball.. few minutes here and there but I feel it would stress them over time.

Convicts breed worse than rabbits. Hope you sell a lot of them.

You could do female bettas in the area they can see each other. That's what my chain store did. Much less flaring.

Caleb

one of the lfs stores I go to has both clear and black dividers between their bettas and if a customer is interested in a particular one they remove the black divider to show off the fish. that works out pretty good IMO.

There are too many males, they take up 75% of the total space. What I could do is put a female in between the males. I bet that would help.

one of the lfs stores I go to has both clear and black dividers between their bettas and if a customer is interested in a particular one they remove the black divider to show off the fish. that works out pretty good IMO.

sounds like a cool setup.

When I was in retail and my customers were looking for Bettas, I actually told the people to look for fish that were flaring and building nests in their containers. Those are signs of a healthy fish.
Regarding the mirror issue, once a Male displays and shows off his "stuff" they will usually calm down on their own when they realize the other male is not a threat to their territory. It's not as bad a stressor as one would believe because this is what the fish was designed for. That said, it would be a good indicator for you to see which fish need more attention or are not as healthy so that you can address the issue. Using a female as a divider between males is actually going to cause more issues than the mirror as the males will constantly be flaring and displaying causing them to be using more energy and requiring more food and maintenance. I would suggest using the opaque dividers over using females if that's the route you want to go.

Hope this helps (y)

Back to the toy/mirror thing.
I'm not convinced the smaller mirror provides more then "flashes" like in nature(from other fish...).
I have spoke with some great betta keepers who say the yreally do play with toys!
I would use whatever is for sale somewhere the customer can see it if it works and is good!
Give a couple a toy and find out!

I used to have a mirror in a betta tank years ago and thought he was more curious then anything. Flared a little but after a while used to just swim around it.

Back
Top Bottom