Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How to keep ammonia down in a tropical fish tank?

Iv recently set up and tropical fish tank. I left it a good 5 days before fish went in. I went to let shop and the bloke said to add a few fish to help the tank do a cycle or something. Now iv got a couple a fish in there the ammonia sits between green and yellow. Is there anything I can do to keep it down? Iv done a water change is there anything else ?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're in the middle of a fish in cycle!

Your fish are producing waste (ammonia) which will continue to build up until bacteria starts to grow.

Until then you will have to keep the ammonia below 0.25ppm (toxic level for fish)

You will have to continue to change at least 50% of the water daily if your levels are around 0.25ppm.

After time the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite will grow and you'll be in stage 2.

But until then just keep up the water changes and keep that ammonia in check!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh right phew ahah, thank you. Iv been told I cant get any other fish for a while for at least a good six weeks. Also do you no what the average temp should be? At the mo it's setting between, 23-25'c
Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1dg3t View Post
Oh right phew ahah, thank you. Iv been told I cant get any other fish for a while for at least a good six weeks. Also do you no what the average temp should be? At the mo it's setting between, 23-25'c

You really shouldn't be adding more fish to the tank until it finishes cycling, however long that takes. (There is a stage #2 to this process) Do a search on this site for what the cycling means so you have a better understanding of what's happening.
Depending on what type of fish you have, Tropical species prefer water that is between 78F-82F degrees. Goldfish prefer cooler water as do some brackish fish. Certain other Tropicals (i.e.Discus) prefer higher temps.

Hope this helps
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a friend with a tank setup you could get his filter pad which would have bacteria on it to seed your tank and help with the cycle.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah I'm not getting any more fish at the min. How long you reckon it will take? And nah don't no anyone that's got another topical tank. I bought a tester kit and check it everyday

Tags
ammonia, tan, tropical, tropical fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com