Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #31
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
You make $2/hr babysitting? You're getting ripped off doing that gig.
That's about the going rate for daycare. (Sad isn't it?) Evening/weekend babysitters usually get paid more then that though.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is an awesome topic.

Saving up for it and earning it will definitely make you appreciate it more.. though I remember the feeling and it definitely sucked.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleallensmom View Post
That's about the going rate for daycare. (Sad isn't it?) Evening/weekend babysitters usually get paid more then that though.
That is pretty sad. When my sister used to babysit about 7 years ago she'd make about $8-10/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
Anyone into stocks? My mom said that I could if I learn how and is willing to go to classes with me.. I don't know much about doing it though
Stocks are 95% beneficial long term, unless you invest in a small company that goes multi-million in a few months, you'll be out of luck for immediate return (better chance at winning the lottery). It's best to invest a lot right off the bat in order to get a decent ROI. Investing is never a bad thing though, the market is constantly going up (in the long run); take a look at mutual funds to begin with, then as you make more money, start thinking about stocks.

As for a quick $, maybe ask the people you babysit for if they will pay you extra if you wash windows/vacuum/dust/etc. while you babysit. You can also look into dog walking. Also, ask you mother to ask her friends if they could use your help.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimzebras
Wow! I'm exactly 20 days older than you! Cool!
Haha cool!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
This is an awesome topic.

Saving up for it and earning it will definitely make you appreciate it more.. though I remember the feeling and it definitely sucked.
I agree that I wouldnt feel right if the supplies was handed to me. I just wish it would come faster
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro

That is pretty sad. When my sister used to babysit about 7 years ago she'd make about $8-10/hr.

Stocks are 95% beneficial long term, unless you invest in a small company that goes multi-million in a few months, you'll be out of luck for immediate return (better chance at winning the lottery). It's best to invest a lot right off the bat in order to get a decent ROI. Investing is never a bad thing though, the market is constantly going up (in the long run); take a look at mutual funds to begin with, then as you make more money, start thinking about stocks.

As for a quick $, maybe ask the people you babysit for if they will pay you extra if you wash windows/vacuum/dust/etc. while you babysit. You can also look into dog walking. Also, ask you mother to ask her friends if they could use your help.
Alright, well I'm definitely going to take some classes for stocks and I will put some money in. Most of the kids I babysit are a pain in the butt and never settle down no matter how hard I try so I'm not sure how much I can multitask.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #37
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
I've been a daycare provider off and on since my 2nd child was born 6 years ago. Going rate around here is about $100/per week. I normally worked at least 9 hours a day...you do the math. Daycare providers are one of the most underpaid, under appreciated people around and they take care of what should be one of your most prized posessions...doesn't make much sense to me sometimes. Anyway, off my

The OP is getting ripped off. lol In high school I used to get around $20 to babysit just for a couple hours on the weekend. (and that was more years ago then I care to admit to! )

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey needmorecowbell
I'm 14 too and I have 2 aquariums 1 46 bowfront freshwater and 1 29 gallon bowfront.... You are right making money at age 14 is very difficult but actualy the biggest cost is settup I spent over 900 dollars on inital set up... But I only spend about 20 bucks a month on matince.... I work extremly hard on my aquariums and don't have a job send me a pm if you want to learn how I make some of my money.....
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

You have a fish tank? You buy some fish breed them sell them cheap to your lfs , your getting paid to keep up with your hobby its a no brained stop messing with the rug rats don't pick up other peoples dog poop and don't do pwc for lazy 20 gallon owners
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyfish
You have a fish tank? You buy some fish breed them sell them cheap to your lfs , your getting paid to keep up with your hobby its a no brained stop messing with the rug rats don't pick up other peoples dog poop and don't do pwc for lazy 20 gallon owners
I tried that but it's kinda too late now. They only buy the full grown ones though..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com