Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleallensmom

I've been a daycare provider off and on since my 2nd child was born 6 years ago. Going rate around here is about $100/per week. I normally worked at least 9 hours a day...you do the math. Daycare providers are one of the most underpaid, under appreciated people around and they take care of what should be one of your most prized posessions...doesn't make much sense to me sometimes. Anyway, off my

The OP is getting ripped off. lol In high school I used to get around $20 to babysit just for a couple hours on the weekend. (and that was more years ago then I care to admit to! )
I know I'm getting ripped off but I really can't do anything about it. I will just have to do more people then.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
I know I'm getting ripped off but I really can't do anything about it. I will just have to do more people then.
Ask some of your friends how much they make when they babysit. Chances are it's better than what you're getting paid now, and even better chances that the people you babysit for know this. Once you find out how much they make, use that as a bargaining tool with the parents. Let them know what you're trying to save up for and if they have any compassion, they'll cough up some more $.

Young babysitters like yourself are not expected (though it is helpful) to know CPR, teach the kids manners/discipline, or even make a career out of taking care of children. Being able to call up someone a few days before a date is a huge convenience, especially over the weekend with various hours (not to mention the ease of calling up and asking you to stay an extra hour or two), and the pay should reflect that.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had all sorts of training. I'm CPR certified, babysitting certified, and some othe certification. I am going to do babysitting for a broader amount of people in the summer. I will charge 8$. Good price?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

$10/hr would be as low as I go. Just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow that's five times as much as I make lol. I might start that high an if no one buys I'll lower.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #46
AA Team Emeritus

I used to get $10 an hour like 10 years ago so I wouldn't say it is unreasonable.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
I had all sorts of training. I'm CPR certified, babysitting certified, and some othe certification. I am going to do babysitting for a broader amount of people in the summer. I will charge 8$. Good price?
That's what I charge, so ya, your good I guess.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230 View Post
I am getting a job in a few weeks (Im 14 then) and am really excited i dont see why people dont hire young people to work for them. Then again America is a whole different country to Australia
Most young people lack the skills (communication being one of them) to successfully perform a job. This obviously isn't true for everyone, and it's just my opinion.

When I was 14 I worked at a car wash (still do but at a different location under the same bosses). For some reason, I sucked at my job then. I hadn't worked there since 15 or 16, and just this past January I started up again (I'm 20 in July). They tell me I am one of their best workers now. I feel I have matured and take work a lot more seriously, even though it isn't a prestigious position. Still, any part-time job in college is good. I attribute this to having worked other jobs, learning about life, and communicating with adults a lot more. The part I italicized I think is the most important.

I also agree with meegosh on $10/hr. My last summer job had me at $8.50/hr. Where I currently work, tips generate most of my pay. On a busy day, I can make upwards to $14.50 an hour. Even on a bad day it usually averages out to like $10-11/hr. I must say, after earning that, I'd never work a minimum wage job again unless I had no other option.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess I better start advertising then!

Also I read a LOT about stocks and i think dividend investing is the thing for me. Any opinions?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant believe someone would pay u $2/hr with a straight face. I pay our baby sitter $20/hr and she is cheapest we could find. So she regularly makes a 100 a day. My wife was a nanny and made over 70 a year. I think 10 would be fair if they are getting you from a day labor site. But then again I dont know what things are like where you live. Advertise in "nicer" hoods. My daughters daycare is 75/hour. It is a really nice school though. But still, I think you should look around.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com