How to make money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am saving for a saltwater aquarium and it is a 30 gal aquarium. I just made a 10 gallon sump with no plumbing, overflow, or intake. I have a reef capable light. I would like a soft coral aquarium. I would like to setup in october. I am only 14 and was wondering if you knew any ways of making money. I already babysit for 2$ an hour :/ I can't cut grass or shovel leaves or rake leaves. There is someone who already is doing that in my neighborhood. Any advice would be great.

Have you asked your parents if they would consider an allowance if you do certain extra chores every week? I grew up on a farm, so there was always something to do.

just because other people cut lawns and rake leaves doesnt mean you cant. go a little cheaper than the other person, people will go with the cheapest option (you)

I guess but they are my friends. I really would like to do something other than that. If I am forced I will but I asked my mom if I rebuilt the cinderblock garden holder she would buy some items for the tank. She said yes. It will be so hard because it is a few thousand pounds of dirt and rock. I will have to completely redo it. I would still need more money though maybe like 200$+ for the supplies I don't have. ( ro filter, skimmer, sand, rock, etc)

hey, if they're your friends, see if they need some help. Split the profit 60/40. That way they get more, but not a whole lot more. You guys could make a little business out of it. If I were to ever get to the point where I couldn't mow my yard on my own, I'd definitely hire kids that needed the money to do fun stuff over a big business... as long as they took it seriously.

hey, if they're your friends, see if they need some help. Split the profit 60/40. That way they get more, but not a whole lot more. You guys could make a little business out of it. If I were to ever get to the point where I couldn't mow my yard on my own, I'd definitely hire kids that needed the money to do fun stuff over a big business... as long as they took it seriously.

+1 I would do the same

I will ask them but there really isn't much to cut or shovel or rake in pennsylvania right now. I might ask people who own aquariums in my neighborhood if I could do pwc for them if they supply the conditioner for like 10$ a month.. Good idea?

Depends. =] A lot of people, like myself, find the enjoyment in doing the work of the hobby, not just in watching the results. More satisfying that way.

I'd do it based on size... You're looking at a lot of work on a bigger tank. I'd say $10 for 40g or less, $15 for 75g or less, $25 for anything over 75g.

I wish I was still 14, then I wouldn't actually have to apply for summer jobs. ._.

Yeah, that's true... best of luck to you! You can work at McDonalds or Chik fil a, though. Those both hire at 15.

I am getting a job in a few weeks (Im 14 then) and am really excited i dont see why people dont hire young people to work for them. Then again America is a whole different country to Australia

Just throwing this idea out there... Do any of your neighbors have dogs? You do a little walking for them. Or, at least let them know your interested, and they will go to you next time they need a pet sitter if they go away for a long weekend or something.

Sent from my iPod touch using the AA app :)

Go into business for yourself washing cars, maybe do interior cleaning/detailing too.
Watch craiglist for a good deal on a used setup, much less expensive than buying new.

Back
Top Bottom