How to make money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree! When I used to babysit it was about $6 minimum per hour! I'm sure it's gone up since then too. Your birthday coming up??? Thats how i get the big expensive things for my tanks :p haha

In October... I know I am getting ripped off but I am working the whole night today so that's like 10-14$ not so bad because I work a lot but if you multiply by 3... Well I could be paid a lot more

Anyone into stocks? My mom said that I could if I learn how and is willing to go to classes with me.. I don't know much about doing it though

I just tried reading the math behind it and I think I might have to learn the basics... It would be nice for it to work out and me be able to have a reef tank, and a frag tank. That would be my ultimate goal for now other than college and stuff like that. It isn't possible unless I can bribe my mom with the beauty of a nanoreef at first and maybe then she will understand my love for the hobby.. Until then I guess. But that's not the point, way offtrack, anyone know some basics about the stock market? Such a weird question for me bcuz I'm 14 but nonetheless, anybody?

I revert back to the basics. Lemonade stand! I get my little sis out there and sell it for 50 cents a pop (donations welcome) on the weekends and stay out there all day. We Just use the giant bucket of country time and make like, 50 bucks in a day! I also petsit, and do chores. I charge 8 bucks an hour for babysitting. Even that's cheap for our neighborhood!

This is an awesome topic. :)

Saving up for it and earning it will definitely make you appreciate it more.. though I remember the feeling and it definitely sucked.

That's about the going rate for daycare. (Sad isn't it?) Evening/weekend babysitters usually get paid more then that though.

That is pretty sad. When my sister used to babysit about 7 years ago she'd make about $8-10/hr.

Anyone into stocks? My mom said that I could if I learn how and is willing to go to classes with me.. I don't know much about doing it though

Stocks are 95% beneficial long term, unless you invest in a small company that goes multi-million in a few months, you'll be out of luck for immediate return (better chance at winning the lottery). It's best to invest a lot right off the bat in order to get a decent ROI. Investing is never a bad thing though, the market is constantly going up (in the long run); take a look at mutual funds to begin with, then as you make more money, start thinking about stocks.

As for a quick $, maybe ask the people you babysit for if they will pay you extra if you wash windows/vacuum/dust/etc. while you babysit. You can also look into dog walking. Also, ask you mother to ask her friends if they could use your help.

scottayy said:
This is an awesome topic. :)

Saving up for it and earning it will definitely make you appreciate it more.. though I remember the feeling and it definitely sucked.

I agree that I wouldnt feel right if the supplies was handed to me. I just wish it would come faster;)

uscamaro said:
That is pretty sad. When my sister used to babysit about 7 years ago she'd make about $8-10/hr.

Stocks are 95% beneficial long term, unless you invest in a small company that goes multi-million in a few months, you'll be out of luck for immediate return (better chance at winning the lottery). It's best to invest a lot right off the bat in order to get a decent ROI. Investing is never a bad thing though, the market is constantly going up (in the long run); take a look at mutual funds to begin with, then as you make more money, start thinking about stocks.

As for a quick $, maybe ask the people you babysit for if they will pay you extra if you wash windows/vacuum/dust/etc. while you babysit. You can also look into dog walking. Also, ask you mother to ask her friends if they could use your help.

Alright, well I'm definitely going to take some classes for stocks and I will put some money in. Most of the kids I babysit are a pain in the butt and never settle down no matter how hard I try so I'm not sure how much I can multitask.

I've been a daycare provider off and on since my 2nd child was born 6 years ago. Going rate around here is about $100/per week. I normally worked at least 9 hours a day...you do the math. Daycare providers are one of the most underpaid, under appreciated people around and they take care of what should be one of your most prized posessions...doesn't make much sense to me sometimes. Anyway, off my :soap:

The OP is getting ripped off. lol In high school I used to get around $20 to babysit just for a couple hours on the weekend. (and that was more years ago then I care to admit to! ;))

Hey needmorecowbell
I'm 14 too and I have 2 aquariums 1 46 bowfront freshwater and 1 29 gallon bowfront.... You are right making money at age 14 is very difficult but actualy the biggest cost is settup I spent over 900 dollars on inital set up... But I only spend about 20 bucks a month on matince.... I work extremly hard on my aquariums and don't have a job send me a pm if you want to learn how I make some of my money.....

You have a fish tank? You buy some fish breed them sell them cheap to your lfs , your getting paid to keep up with your hobby its a no brained stop messing with the rug rats don't pick up other peoples dog poop and don't do pwc for lazy 20 gallon owners

shadyfish said:
You have a fish tank? You buy some fish breed them sell them cheap to your lfs , your getting paid to keep up with your hobby its a no brained stop messing with the rug rats don't pick up other peoples dog poop and don't do pwc for lazy 20 gallon owners

I tried that but it's kinda too late now. They only buy the full grown ones though..

Back
Top Bottom