Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How to make money

I am saving for a saltwater aquarium and it is a 30 gal aquarium. I just made a 10 gallon sump with no plumbing, overflow, or intake. I have a reef capable light. I would like a soft coral aquarium. I would like to setup in october. I am only 14 and was wondering if you knew any ways of making money. I already babysit for 2$ an hour :/ I can't cut grass or shovel leaves or rake leaves. There is someone who already is doing that in my neighborhood. Any advice would be great.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Have you asked your parents if they would consider an allowance if you do certain extra chores every week? I grew up on a farm, so there was always something to do.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just because other people cut lawns and rake leaves doesnt mean you cant. go a little cheaper than the other person, people will go with the cheapest option (you)
JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess but they are my friends. I really would like to do something other than that. If I am forced I will but I asked my mom if I rebuilt the cinderblock garden holder she would buy some items for the tank. She said yes. It will be so hard because it is a few thousand pounds of dirt and rock. I will have to completely redo it. I would still need more money though maybe like 200$+ for the supplies I don't have. ( ro filter, skimmer, sand, rock, etc)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

hey, if they're your friends, see if they need some help. Split the profit 60/40. That way they get more, but not a whole lot more. You guys could make a little business out of it. If I were to ever get to the point where I couldn't mow my yard on my own, I'd definitely hire kids that needed the money to do fun stuff over a big business... as long as they took it seriously.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
hey, if they're your friends, see if they need some help. Split the profit 60/40. That way they get more, but not a whole lot more. You guys could make a little business out of it. If I were to ever get to the point where I couldn't mow my yard on my own, I'd definitely hire kids that needed the money to do fun stuff over a big business... as long as they took it seriously.
+1 I would do the same
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know how you feel when you want something but you have to save for it. I sometimes wash my mum and dad's car for some cash when id like something

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will ask them but there really isn't much to cut or shovel or rake in pennsylvania right now. I might ask people who own aquariums in my neighborhood if I could do pwc for them if they supply the conditioner for like 10$ a month.. Good idea?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends. =] A lot of people, like myself, find the enjoyment in doing the work of the hobby, not just in watching the results. More satisfying that way.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com