How to make money from aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am too young to have a real job yet, so I maintain all of my aquariums with a weekly allowance and occasionally selling my art. As the enthusiasm for the hobby increases, so does the amount of money I'm spending on aquarium supplies. Is there any way to use it to earn money back? Also, I am not allowed to buy any more tanks, so an elaborate breeding thing is probably out of the picture unless it's shrimp or something.

In my opinion the problem is that you have to invest money in order to get started and end up making money. At one point I had a steady income from the hobby...I was selling plants, N class Endlers, and 4 types of shellies. While I had money coming in there was always money going back into it: shipping supplies, maintenance for the fish & tanks, etc.

In my opinion the problem is that you have to invest money in order to get started and end up making money. At one point I had a steady income from the hobby...I was selling plants, N class Endlers, and 4 types of shellies. While I had money coming in there was always money going back into it: shipping supplies, maintenance for the fish & tanks, etc.

This is very true. You never really recoup the cost of the equipment or tanks if you get out of the hobby either. With my endeavour I've spent a ton of money but I really dont expect to make much. If I can sell enough fish to pay for the fish food at least then I will be happy. I'm not breaking even yet with my red strain because I feed live and frozen also.

What kind of fish are you thinking about breeding?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Short of turning your fish collection into a "pay for view" area for your friends and neighbors :brows::lol:, the only way I've known to make "real" money doing fish is to make a lot of them and sell a lot of them. This is a tough thing to do when you are tank space limited. What you then do is try to breed fish that will at least pay for themselves by breeding and selling the young. The fish that can do this are ones that are good parents and care for their fry so you only need 2 tanks ( 1 for spawning in and 1 for growing out.) Fish that come to mind for this, but are not limited to, are Kribensis, Brichardis, Rams ( sometimes), Plecos, etc. You can also do some cory cats in just 2 tanks but more is better. Raising common fish will not get you high returns on your time or investment. Depending on where you are at, talk to your local pet shop and see what they are interested in buying and breed those if they fit into the above criteria. Specialty fish make more money but if you can't sell them at the local level, you have additional costs involved which can eat heavily into your profits. Nothing beats the ability to walk into a store with a 5 gal bucket with a portable air pump filled with fish for sale. It's the cheapest way to move fish, but only when it's local.
Then there is the plants route. If you have the space, propagate some unusual or more desirable types.

Things to keep in mind are, if you have a number of tanks, buy in larger quantity. Buy the larger size can of food and store it in the fridge or freezer. Buy the bulk packs of filter cartridges instead of the ones and twos because they are cheaper. Better yet, make your own. (y) Yes, these things cost more to start with but are actually cheaper in the long run. Just figure out cost per ounce for food and price per cartridge for filters and you may be surprised. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

Short of turning your fish collection into a "pay for view" area for your friends and neighbors :brows:[emoji38], the only way I've known to make "real" money doing fish is to make a lot of them and sell a lot of them. This is a tough thing to do when you are tank space limited. What you then do is try to breed fish that will at least pay for themselves by breeding and selling the young. The fish that can do this are ones that are good parents and care for their fry so you only need 2 tanks ( 1 for spawning in and 1 for growing out.) Fish that come to mind for this, but are not limited to, are Kribensis, Brichardis, Rams ( sometimes), Plecos, etc. You can also do some cory cats in just 2 tanks but more is better. Raising common fish will not get you high returns on your time or investment. Depending on where you are at, talk to your local pet shop and see what they are interested in buying and breed those if they fit into the above criteria. Specialty fish make more money but if you can't sell them at the local level, you have additional costs involved which can eat heavily into your profits. Nothing beats the ability to walk into a store with a 5 gal bucket with a portable air pump filled with fish for sale. It's the cheapest way to move fish, but only when it's local.
Then there is the plants route. If you have the space, propagate some unusual or more desirable types.

Things to keep in mind are, if you have a number of tanks, buy in larger quantity. Buy the larger size can of food and store it in the fridge or freezer. Buy the bulk packs of filter cartridges instead of the ones and twos because they are cheaper. Better yet, make your own. (y) Yes, these things cost more to start with but are actually cheaper in the long run. Just figure out cost per ounce for food and price per cartridge for filters and you may be surprised. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)
Wow!!! Great read Mr. Andy[emoji1]

Thank you! This has really helped a lot! Are there any shrimp that are valuable enough to make some sort of profit breeding?

Andy's advice to check with your LFS is spot on. That's the reason I got black moscows. I've spent a small fortune to set up but for me it's really more of a hobby than a business. If the fish pay for themselves as in fish food etc then I feel successful.

Oh one more tip. If your LFS is an independent then don't be afraid to ask for a discount if you are buying in bulk. I bought four tanks the other day and said "if I buy 4 what's the best price you can do?" There is no harm in asking if you are a good customer and buying in bulk. Worst they can say is no.

Thank you! This has really helped a lot! Are there any shrimp that are valuable enough to make some sort of profit breeding?

I've seen some Caridina shrimp sell for a lot! Again, you have to start with good quality stock.

If you're willing to ship, or even just to see how much things are selling for, check out AquaBid, or even eBay. Do you belong to any local fish clubs?

Here are a few sites that can give you an idea about what's available and online selling costs:

The Shrimp Farm

Shrimp USA

Elite Inverts

Thanks! I've been wanting to get some blue tiger shrimp for a while, so that might be perfect.

I used to pay for my hobby by selling rcs to my lfs. They did not have good access to them, and gave me store credit so I could buy food and such. I definitely agree that you should check in with the lfs in your area and see what sort of policies they have about buying in fish, and what sort of stuff they need. Shrimp are usually the way to go if you have limited space!

I'm in a very similar situation space. You should ask PoppaRyno, he's the one with the $35000 fish room and he still makes some money off fish. I would say get a good relation with your LFS. The guy at mine kinda knows me now and has offered reduced prices for my age which I have turned down. Also if you continue loving fish and have a good LFS relation for pretty much your whole life than you can also get reduced prices in the future. Those are my tips but I'm only 13, so you might want to listen to the wiser adults.

I'm in a very similar situation space. You should ask PoppaRyno, he's the one with the $35000 fish room and he still makes some money off fish. I would say get a good relation with your LFS. The guy at mine kinda knows me now and has offered reduced prices for my age which I have turned down. Also if you continue loving fish and have a good LFS relation for pretty much your whole life than you can also get reduced prices in the future. Those are my tips but I'm only 13, so you might want to listen to the wiser adults.

I'm not sure being an adult makes one wiser
Lol

I'm not sure being an adult makes one wiser
Lol

This is definetly true.... no offence to any of the older wise people on this site of course

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom