How to survive a Power Outage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Being it's the Stormy season I am worried about power outages. I have a 55 gallon FOWLR saltwater tank. How can I make sure my tank will be fine if the power goes out? How long will it take before I really need to worry?

The longest I have been without power was 48 hours. Before I even had a tank! Being this is an issue for both fresh and saltwater tanks I thought I would post it here. Is their any differences between both tanks when power goes out? Any preparation that could be taken besides buying a power backup like for computers?

I hope to not have this issue, but I live out in the country and it does happen from time to time..

Aside from the obvious buying a generator, get some battery powered air pumps, keep lights off, dont feed, and do daily mini water changes. Ive heard some people wrap their tanks in a blanket to maintain temps. For a prolonged outage, you may want to clean your filter before running it when power is restored.

Aside from the obvious buying a generator, get some battery powered air pumps, keep lights off, dont feed, and do daily mini water changes. Ive heard some people wrap their tanks in a blanket to maintain temps. For a prolonged outage, you may want to clean your filter before running it when power is restored.

Thanks! That's some great advice.

Battery operated bubblers are great but if you can't find them in time for an outage take a cup and scoop water out of the tank and pour it back in a few times every hour or so to keep the water oxygenated. I'm sure a reef is a bigger pain in a power outage, but I kept my three tanks going for a week without power last year. One fish only salt tank and two freshwater tanks. A hurricane left me without power for about 8 days. I only lost some crayfish, their little 5 gallon tank just crashed after about four days since they are pretty sensitive to low oxygen levels in their water. I did small water changes daily with extra prime, too. Small changes since all we had was really cold water from the tap.

Back
Top Bottom