Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluv View Post
DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A DUMB BETTA!!!
I am very interested in your suggestions on how to tell the intelligence level of a betta. I think we may have a potential millionaire right here on AA

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I am very interested in your suggestions on how to tell the intelligence level of a betta. I think we may have a potential millionaire right here on AA
haha, might post a lesson on it! LOL

Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Please include a quick how-to on letting your fish know, in the unlikely event that you discover, that it is dumb. That's something I've struggled with for a while now. I think one of my fish is a little more than dumb... it just swims around all day, but I can't figure out how to tell it without feeling like I'm going to cause it to be depressed

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Please include a quick how-to on letting your fish know, in the unlikely event that you discover, that it is dumb. That's something I've struggled with for a while now. I think one of my fish is a little more than dumb... it just swims around all day, but I can't figure out how to tell it without feeling like I'm going to cause it to be depressed
It's every fishkeeper's burden *sigh*. I found it easiest to just come right out and say it you know. Just tell them that you think it might be best for everyone if they seek mental help. Tell them you think they need to do just more than swim...like oh i don't know...jumping through flaming hoops on super tiny motorcycles or something
Tell your fish that he also needs to get a job! He can't just expect you to pay tons of money to take care of him! I mean, come on! He has to pay his month's rent at some point!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
NEVER skip a day of training, or you will LITERALLY have to start all over again! Start and end training at the same time every day, and never fear, your betta will eventually get it! I have had bettas learn this trick perfectly in as little as 1 week, and some have taken up to 1 month!
So after you get them doing it do you still need too train everyday or will they forget it if you go on vacation?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

gosh, now I really want a betta to train!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have "come" down very well! My betta will also "jump" on command. Going to work on the circling training!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the tips!
@Maxkolbe: No, that is just the initial training Your fish might be a little rusty when you return but about 10 minutes of working with them when you return should bring them back around
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oh my Lord.......
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you are new to my series of How To Train Your Betta guides, please read the first training guide first: "HOW TO TRAIN YOUR BETTA 1-Come"
Now on with the tutorial
Today, you will be teaching your betta to perform, jump. This step usually comes after training your fish to jump through a hoop. It is moderatly easy for your fish, and so you could try this before training "jump through the hoop", to give them the feeling of jumping out of the water on command. In the wild, bettas lived in Thailand in the rice paddies. They would occasionally jump out of the water (for fun or to catch something), but would usually stick to their home in the water.
Therefore this trick is relatively easy, and almost all trainable bettas can do this trick. To tell if your betta can learn this trick, step up to your tank. If your fishy friend swims up to you, then he has learned a conditioned behavior, and is therefore trainable. Training, especially in fish, is all just conditioned behavior. They know they get a treat by performing a certain action, so they begin to want to do it.
Step 1.) Obtain some blood worms, brine shrimp, or other tempting treat for your betta. Rip these pieces into small, training size treats. Kind of like if you had a piece of cheese for a dog's training, you would break it into little bits.
Step 2.) Walk up to your tank, if your betta approaches the tank, performing the "come" trick, then reward him and continue training. Hold the treat just above the water surface where your betta can see it, but cannot reach it without jumping. Hold it steady there for a few moments. Eventually your betta will try to jump out of the water to retrieve the treat. Regardless of how straight they jump, or if they touch the treat, reward with the treat. Repeat this exercise for 5 minutes.
STEP 4.) wait 20-30 minutes in between each five minute training session. Nothing has changed since the first two lessons, your betta still has the same short attention span!!! In between each break, raise the treat another 2-3 cm above where it was. If your betta fails, then be patient, lower the treat, and try again. Its OK, the Zombie apocalypse wont happen for another couple years, you have plenty of time to train your betta! Your betta can only jump so high, it's just a matter of hardly having to do any signals for him to jump
STEP 5.) complete this exersize until your betta has mastered it. Usually, on all of my test bettas for this trick, they all got it down perfectly in just 1-2 weeks!

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com