Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmom View Post
gosh, now I really want a betta to train!
If you have any other fish that is slightly larger, and well, just a smarter fish than neons or something like that, you could train them too. I specialize the training techniques for bettas, but they would work on other fish too!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm confused, I thought everyone knew that female Betta fish are better then the males...
For jumping through a hope, I couldnt see the male Betta getting enough speed to jump with all the fins slowing him down. He wouldn't have got any speed. Would have been funny to watch though! Struggling to get moving a decent speed and then flop he got his head out... Did you get any Betta to do it? Also do you have any YouTube Videos I wanna see them... Also what do you keep your betas in?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

With all of these treats and training sessions wouldnt the betta become overfed and bloated? I have one betta that I hand feed but they only get fed once a day and very small amounts
Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluv
If you have any other fish that is slightly larger, and well, just a smarter fish than neons or something like that, you could train them too. I specialize the training techniques for bettas, but they would work on other fish too!
Wait why are neons dumb? The neons in my 110 should have been eaten by no but outsmart all the angel when they were in there and now it's the kribs. The neons aren't faster then them but seem to fool them pretty good.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
I'm confused, I thought everyone knew that female Betta fish are better then the males...
For jumping through a hope, I couldnt see the male Betta getting enough speed to jump with all the fins slowing him down. He wouldn't have got any speed. Would have been funny to watch though! Struggling to get moving a decent speed and then flop he got his head out... Did you get any Betta to do it? Also do you have any YouTube Videos I wanna see them... Also what do you keep your betas in?
The males did, but only with lower hoops.
Yes I have gotton my own betta, as well as my friends bettas and they have all been able to perform the task, some learning within one week!
No, I do not have a YouTube channel nor do I plan to get one.
I keep my bettas in 5-5.5 gallon tanks, with low flow filters, heaters, and weekly 50% water changes.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
With all of these treats and training sessions wouldnt the betta become overfed and bloated? I have one betta that I hand feed but they only get fed once a day and very small amounts
No, as I say in all of my tutorials, you want to keep training sessions to a minimum, and break all treats into VERY SMALL pieces. Some bettas have huge stomachs, so when you see that your betta is full, you need to stop, I figured everyone will automatically assume that with what I said...suppose not. Well, now you know. And when I am training, I feed less for their meals, because they are making it up in their "treats". I did mention to only have a few small training sessions per day to prevent bloating did I not?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Wait why are neons dumb? The neons in my 110 should have been eaten by no but outsmart all the angel when they were in there and now it's the kribs. The neons aren't faster then them but seem to fool them pretty good.
I did not nessessarily say that neons were dumb, I was saying that bettas, goldfish, and basically the larger fish have a greater capacity to learn these tricks
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluv View Post
and break all treats into VERY SMALL pieces.
This can actually be quite dangerous since their stomach is only the size of one eye. I mean, that treat would have to be broken up into miniscule pieces.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi I'm 16 and I trained my Betta to jump out of the water a good inch and a half
Once a day I would put bloodworm on my finger
First in the water
Then slowly raising it
It took like a week to learn it
Ps " come" was easy
PPS thanks for this thread
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluv
No, as I say in all of my tutorials, you want to keep training sessions to a minimum, and break all treats into VERY SMALL pieces. Some bettas have huge stomachs, so when you see that your betta is full, you need to stop
Do you realize a betta's stomach is the size of their eye? And fish food swells in water. I feed mine one bloodworm and that's it for a day. Another day they get 1-2 betta pellets and that's all. Then I skip a feeding day. Then I will feed 2-3 brine shimp. The only time I increase feeding is if I condition to breed I increase their meals to 2-3 a day but still very small amounts.

With your methods it would seem you are potentially shortening their life spans by overfeeding.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com