Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

This can actually be quite dangerous since their stomach is only the size of one eye. I mean, that treat would have to be broken up into miniscule pieces.
True! An inch fish only needs like a cm long flake a day to stay alive. Although its not a balance diet in my eyes...

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you think I could teach these tricks to my African cichlids?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK, you all I am obviously not getting my point across clearly. These tricks can be taught to all fish (at least bigger than a betta). You only treat the betta with very small pieces of bloodworm, and you don't train them all day. In five minutes, you could probably coax your betta to do the "jump through a hoop" trick once, so that's one tiny piece of bloodworm. AND I said that you only do so much training until your bettas stomach is full. You CAN tell when it is full by the size of the belly, therefore, you will know when to stop.

WAIT!!!
I see what you all are talking about and that was a fault by me when typing. I train with multiple fish in one setting. I only do about 5 training sessions amongst all of the bettas in one day. I only usually do max 2 sessions per fish, and I don't even do that many once the fish get the trick down.
I would never put my fish in danger, and I am not overfeeding, this depends on the number of fish you have as to how many training sessions you do per day. My fish have never become bloated because I limit the amount of training sessions per day.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an oscar. She is about 10", and ive had her for about 7 months. She is quite well trained, using the same principles you talk about, but on a much larger scale. She will come 3 inches out of the water and hand feeds readily. She also nibbles all fingers put on her tank (a trick i regret now that her teeth are getting bigger) and is target trained (a trick i taught to assist in taking pictures). She also likes to be petted. Just thought id share my success
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarchic11 View Post
I have an oscar. She is about 10", and ive had her for about 7 months. She is quite well trained, using the same principles you talk about, but on a much larger scale. She will come 3 inches out of the water and hand feeds readily. She also nibbles all fingers put on her tank (a trick i regret now that her teeth are getting bigger) and is target trained (a trick i taught to assist in taking pictures). She also likes to be petted. Just thought id share my success
That's great! She seems very cute! I did have my old betta target trained, but the new one is having difficulty....lol. I might post a lesson on target training...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

No more lessons?

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com