Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
How were you introduced to the hobby?

I had tanks all my younger childhood and then discovered girls, cars, and sports and kind of drifted from it and only kept bettas for about 5 years.

Then my senior year of high school I took aquatic science. The class room was a freshwater aquarists dream. Tanks of ll sizes, shapes, and biotopes. We had a 180 gallon tank for a Adonis plec and a massive albino tiger Oscar. A 55 gallon heavily planted amazonian tank. A 20 gallon guppy haven. A 40 gallon native tank with fish we gathered from a stream running close to the school. And countless others. I was in charge of maintaining the Amazonian tank and I had my craving rebuild again. Now I have a pair of 29's and a pair of 10's in my room and am building a 90 gallon for our living room. MTS is a long standing disease that can stand dormant apparently. Lol.

LPXnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was introduced through two maybe three sources. Like you we had a large 100+ gal tank with all sorts of freshwater fish.

The first fish was a gift from my brother, a goldfish I still have today.

The second was buying my second tank and an aquaclear 30 (didnt know how great these things were!) for that same goldfish. Now I have 7 tanks, not all mine though but in the same house, that I maintain.

User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive always been fascinated by fish but was always too busy to keep them during high school.Now that im in college i attempted a couple fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon(was not aware of this site or about cycling) after they died i stopped for about a year and just started up a little over a month ago and have had no issues. Now i want a bigger tank!
BHead707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
My first introduction was to freshwater in, hmm...6th grade? The science teacher had a 10 gallon tank set up in the classroom..that was arounf the 1978 timeframe. I was all freshwater until early 1995 when I met a lady down in New Orleans who had a 90 gal reef system. She got me hooked on reefs and even bought me my 75 gallon setup as payment for taking care of her two horses, for three months, in the heat of a New Orleans summer while she was on temporary duty in Florida .

I have bounced back and forth over the last 15 years but am now working more towards smaller reefs, eventually 2-28 gallon alll-in-one tank types, just due to the size of my house..the 75 had too big of a footprint to fit comfortably given the floorspace.
tlkng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
My KIDS!! They begged me for a betta forever. I finally gave in, and fell in love Now all the neighborhood kids come to our house to play cause we have "awesome fish"
110g, 55g, 37g in wall, 10g
NoFishingAllowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure, I've just always felt this strange tie to water-related things in life...
I live by the ocean, my favorite foods are always fish, cooked or raw, I have a water horoscope, and have been always loving fish every since I was three when the chef at a fancy restaurant had a betta in a big salad bowl, and the salad was in a bowl on top of it...
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I said "i want a fishtank"
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by tarpon
I said "i want a fishtank"
lol............My first was when my aunt gave me their spare 5g
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi i have always been fascinated by fish,and after a few very unsuccessfull attempts i said i would never keep fish again,but one Christmas, my sister got two goldfish and she loves anything with fur but slimy fish so i took the two goldfish and bowl and decided i would do it properly this time. Read as much as i could and drove the chap in the local fish shop mad {no internet back in them days}and so a little bowl became a little tank which became a bigger tank which became a tropical tank
The goldfish were re-homed in a fish pond
stingrays4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

lol............My first was when my aunt gave me their spare 5g
My Aunt gave my family our first one too, it was a 5g. I was around seven? We always had guppies in the tank, my mother would buy feeder guppies since they were so cheap especially 40 years ago LOL I used to think we were so good at raising them, it wasn't until I was in my thirties that my mother admitted that when the fish started to die off that she would go buy another dozen while we were at school and when we got home she would say look they had babies!
LMAO My mother was a character, miss her all the time!!!!

HAVAMAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com