HP-goblet of fire- dont read if you havn'g seen the movie!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

BEFORE YOU READ= IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ THIS!!!

Im surprised not to see a thread on this one already.. I saw it friday night at the 10:30 show (opening night) Im sure a lot of you have seen it already.. and for those of you who have read the book as well.. what did you think?

I have to say i really enjoyed the movie in itself.. but am getting more dissapointed with each movie in that they are traveling farther away from the books. The first two you could almost read the book right with the movie. And then the third one strayed a bit but at least they included all of the scenes and characters and only twisted it a bit to make it better for the movie.
But The Goblet of Fire left out sooo much and twisted some things around. Like the dragon part for instance... wtf??!?!?! He's not supposed to kill the dragon... :cry: Or fly all over the place like that.. i guess it made it more "exciting"

I was also dissapointed that they didn't go more in debth with the whole Reeta Skeeter deal. I mean... it may not seem very relevent in this movie but in the next book, Hermoine uses what she knows about Reeta to blackmail her into getting the true story about "you know who" out!

And they left out LUDO BAGMAN... how can you leave out an entire character?!?!? What is up with that? THere was nothing about the bet they had at the Quidditch world cup... nothing leading towards him possibly being the one behind everything, nothing about the weezly twins joke shop! Yeah there were a few scenes where they showed fred and george selling stuff but the movie never explained it, and for those that didn't read the book (like my husband) he was like.. what are they selling?
They also didn't show anything about the cash prize for winning the tri-wizard tournament that Harry gave Fred and George to open their joke shop... are they just going to leave that out of the next movie as well?!?!

AND.. there was no doby and no winky. They didn't have winky holding harry's wand at the world cup and didn't show Mr. Crouch setting her free.

Ok.. now that i have gotten that off of my chest.. LOL.. what is everyone elses response to the movie?

I didn't see the movie yet but books are ALWAYS better. My son is reading them now so I'm trying to keep him away from the movies till he's finished.

It's the same with the Chronicles of Narnia movie coming out. I can't wait to see it but at the same time I don't want the magic of the books ruined for my children by Hollywood. So we won't see that movie either, until the kids have a chance to experience the books.

I haven't had a chance to see this movie yet. I think I'm goin' be dissapointed I've heard about alot of changes, including characters missing. If there is no Winky, that I think was a large chunk of the story. I will give my offiacial thoughts on it when I see it.

I haven't seen the movie, but while reading the book I thought there was much that could be left out...I just didn't see the larger bits with winky progressing the story along, any information she could have given them could just as easily been passed through another character. She was an integral part of the first part of the book and certainly needed to be included...but I can easily see her part being pared down and would have liked to have seen it in the book. Can I assume since there is no dobby and winky that there is no SPEW? As for Ludo Bagman...entertaining character, but not really a necessary part of the story. Look at the size of the books, they doubled from the third to the fourth and there wasn't all that much need for it.

I saw the movie last weekend and thought it was pretty good (it's a 1500 page book, no?). But I don't remember much of the book. My boyfriend brought up some of the same points you guys did. I think if the book was more recent in my mind I would have been upset by all the changes/missing characters etc. The movie would have needed to be broken up into two or three movies to follow the book I think!

It's funny, Voldemort as I pictured him in my head was much scarier than in the movie! I also imagined moody as a greying wizard for some reason - he looked much younger than I expected!

Dumbledore was not impressive at all in the movie, I really don't like the actor that plays him.

Was Fleur as inept in the book as she was in the movie? That was upsetting. Like a message that girls are weak or something...

For liking the movie, I seem to be criticizing it alot! :roll:

Thats how i feel.. i liked the movie but as others said, there is never a comparison for the books! I have always been a book reader myself... and I LOVE Harry Potter.. i've read the entire series through several times.. probably at least 4 i think.

I know that they didn't have time to include every scene from the book, but there were some parts that just seemed not to be necessary like the time they took on the dragon scene... i mean i know it was the first task and all, but they took way to long on that scene. I still think that winky was important becuase she was the one who was caring for Barty Crouch Junior and they made it seem like he had just broken out of Azkaban.. where in the book, His mother had taken his place and died in the prison while he had lived under the Imperius curse with his father.
There wasn't anything about spew either.. i had completely forgot about that... I hope they incorporate doby into the next one because He helps harry a lot.. he was supposed to be the one that got the gillyweed for Harry.

I agree about the Voldemort.. i didn't think he was anythign that i pictured... and i liked the old dumbledoor MUCH better.. but what are you gonna do? HE died :cry: Although the actor that played Gandalf in LOTR would make a good dumbledoor i think.

I for one would'nt have minded if they split it into two 3 hour long movies. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on that, but they could've made it part 1 and part 2. THere's already going to be 6 movies altogether at least.. and more hopefully as she writes the next book.

I'm gonna side with you Ashley, I definately they should have broke the movie up in to two parts, they did it with Kill Bill, it could've been done. I'm not saying that you have to be able to read the book right along, from what I have heard is missing or changed. Oh well I guess unless there is a remake it'll stand where it is now.

I've read all the books and own all of them on CD and listen to them constantly. Thus all are pretty recent in my head. This does stray the most from the book, but I thought that the movie was actually far and away the best they've produced so far. The stretch in the movie about the ball was very good, pretty close to great. In comparison, I thought that GOF the book meandered and drug on for ages with parts that weren't necessary at all. That's allright for a book but in a movie you simply can't include alot of the meandering details which aren't consequential to the main plot. That's why everyone loved the Lord of the Ring Trilogy, it condensed all of the meandering down to the central plot and made the story move much brisker.
If anything, I would say thus far they've been too loyal to the book in the movies. I mean the first movie was like it was ripped straight from the pages, and I thought it was terrible. This one just seemed alot better and I think the numbers will eventually prove that even though alot of kids will not be allowed, and shouldn't be allowed to see this movie. No matter what, any big fan of the books is going to be dissapointed by the movie. Just like fanatics of the Lord of the Rings book complained about the movie ommissions and additions we'll complain as well.
Yes, Fleur was just as helpless in the book as in the movie. Yes, I agree that the new dumblebdore is terrible and gandalf would have been alot better, but they never would have gotten that actor to agree to play a wizard in two consecutive series. I also pictured mad eye moody as older, and with a beard and voldemort as much thinner and taller than Ray Fienes. I meanthis is the guy who was built and cut like a boxer in Red Dragon and I just don't see Voldemort as that type of character. But considering the amount of beloved characters they seem to just get spot on, I'll let it slide.

But considering the amount of beloved characters they seem to just get spot on, I'll let it slide.

I have to agree with that one... although i didn't think the voldemort character fit at all... there are other characters that i absolutely love! Ron, Hagrid, Mcgonnigal, and Snape being in the top 4.

I loved the GOF movie (went with a co-worker to a midnight showing). It did leave me wanting more though. I wish that there had been more of the sub-plots and more true to the book (I was looking for more Rita!). But when you get down to it, the movie was able to stand alone on its own (there were no unanswered questions like POA). I think that this was easily one of the best movies that they've done. I now need to take the time to reread the 4th one yet again (prolly have read it 4 times or so).

And I have to say that I think that Michael Gambon makes a great Dumbledore. I like him better than the original.

it would have been a great movie if i hadnt read the book but the amout of stuff they miss was devastating. i cant believe that nobody has mentioned the quidditch world cup. i mean i fully agree that it wasnt necessary to the plot but damn that was a really good sceen that they just completly cut out. it was soo exciting reading about it and it was over faster that it began, well thats probably becasue it never did begin. and the death eaters looked like clan members lol. anayway back to the point it was a good movie becasue there acting is getting much better and the dragon computer graphics were pretty impressive. and also i agree Ayesha97 that the new dumbledor is better. the other dumbledor was good but he was to fragile and dumbledor has always struck me as a very strong person even though he is old and the new actor really portrays that. i could keep chatting for hours about this movie but i have to many opinions and i would go into an infinit loop of what i like and dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom