Huge Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was on a trip to Bolivia and they have a kind of pet store in the corner of the street and its HUGE they sell puppies for five dollars and other stuff too. But the real reason I'm writing this is because the guppies they sold were 2.5 plus inches about that length and that wasn't metaphorical that was literal so guys I want you to tell me how is this possible? Petco guppies are so small compared to these!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Were they the bright and colorful tails, male and females that size?

The ones at the P stores are young ones not fully grown. Guppies normally get around ~2"-2.5".

Mosquito fish get to be 3" - though not generally much color.

Healthy stock perhaps?

Ya they were bright and colorful they were blue and the guy only had males

Hmmmmm, maybe so you couldn't breed those exact ones? Or people only want the colorful ones???

Anyway sounds exciting. You didn't get any pics did you?

So I was on a trip to Bolivia and they have a kind of pet store in the corner of the street and its HUGE they sell puppies for five dollars and other stuff too. But the real reason I'm writing this is because the guppies they sold were 2.5 plus inches about that length and that wasn't metaphorical that was literal so guys I want you to tell me how is this possible? Petco guppies are so small compared to these!!?

Did you ask if those came from a private breeder or from their regular wholesale supplier? Good large fish are generally from private breeders as it costs a lot to ship larger fish which is why most wholesalers don't carry many larger fish.
As for the fish you see in Petco or other box stores, this applies to them as well. Most have a central supplier so the smaller fish are better for shipping to the individual stores than the larger ones are. So what you see is not how large the fish get. ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom