Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I was playing on my 360 which is connected to my HDTV. If you are talking computers, most any videocard and game will go way up and over anything considered HD assuming you have a monitor that will go that high. I'm not saying the potential for increased performance isn't there, I'm just saying in the real world the difference isn't really there.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
The Monster cables offer a higher rate of transfer of information (more bandwidth) and they will preform much better compared to other cables when those other cables are near their max bandwith capacity. The reason you saw no improvement from your HDMI setups is most likely because your video cards weren't HD cards and the games you were running weren't capable of HD capabilities.
Your exactly right the cord does not make the difference in Quality but the system that is provided to help the HDMI cord look outstanding. Like I said all cord including Gold cords are made at a cheap price there is simply no difference. JMO

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1588 View Post
I was playing on my 360 which is connected to my HDTV. If you are talking computers, most any videocard and game will go way up and over anything considered HD assuming you have a monitor that will go that high. I'm not saying the potential for increased performance isn't there, I'm just saying in the real world the difference isn't really there.

Please post the make and model of your "HDTV". I have a feeling that it is a 720p. If it IS, then the cable certainly isn't going to make a difference. An XBOX 360 is 1080p capable right? You would need a 1080p capable HDTV in order to get the best picture quality. You would also need a gold plated cable. If it's a 720p, then nearly any cable will do, so there's no point in spending $50+ on a Monster cable when a $5 cable will do equally as well. Not all HDTV's are created equal and most people think "I have an HDTV so it should run anything that's HD". That's not the case at all. If you have a Blu-Ray player and a 720p HDTV you aren't getting the most from your Blu-Ray player. If you have a 720p HDTV and watch HD cable/HD satellite exclusively, then you are getting everything out of your TV since HD cable and HD satellite are only broadcast in 720p. That's going to change sometime soon when they will go to 1080p and you will need to get a new HDTV that's at least 1080p compliant to get the best picture from the HD cable/HD satellite.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

me being a musician i know the difference that a good cable makes. the patch chord i buy for my instruments costs anywhere from 100-250 dollars a foot... the difference is noticable... i wont even get into what midis cost...

just my 2 cents

-Brad
Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
yes, I personally only have a 720p TV. So you've got me there, I hadn't really considered that. I'm done with this thread. believes in expensive cabling will always believe it's better, everyone else will always insist the difference is either not there or its negligible. A pointless argument really. Who wants to argue 360 vs ps3? Abstract art vs realism? Mac vs PC?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
Any electrician will tell you that there are in fact differences between a pure gold plated wire and a coat hangar/alloy as far as conductivity goes. A pure gold compound will be FAR more effective than an impure substance. All that the study showed is that those people couldn't tell a difference with AUDIO. If you looked at two televisions with a Monster cable and a regular cable you would be able to SEE the difference in picture quality quite easily.
Have to agree. I had a cheap HDMI cable. We got a couple of gold-plated $150 HDMI cables at work so I took one home to see if I could spot any difference. There was definitely a difference in the picture clarity, no question about that. Hubby thinks there is also a difference in the audio, but he's got the ears of a DJ that is trained to pick up that kind of stuff. I couldn't pick it up, but we decided to buy a gold cable.

Not something AI'd like to get in the habit of doing. not when cables are concerened, but I did spend $3500 on the TV, so relatively, an additional $150 to get the best out of it is probably not the worst investment.
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the store they had 4 of the same exact model of HDTV setup on display. They were all set to the same options like contrast, brightness, etc. The only difference was that some had Monster cables and some didn't. I forget the exact setups but it was clear to see the difference between them. My brother also spent $3000+ on a Sony Bravia 52" 1080p and opted for the better cable. Like you said...it's not much more considering the price for the TV in the first place.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com