I cannot eat fish anymore...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Autumnsky said:
Food Fish-yum fish friends - no yum! lol

My husband teases me about eating the most expensive shrimp he's ever seen, except there wouldn't be anything to eat since they are so small.:lol: He said for the price they should be the size of your hand, not a pencil eraser.

Food Fish which is fresh doesn't have fishy smell. Always rinse when buying from the store to rinse off less than wonderful bacteria, and sometimes they spray and dunk in antibacterial solutions. (yuck)

My daughter won't let her pet bird eat eggs (yolks)/ good for moulting. :eek:

Yes that's true, it shouldn't have any fishy smell or ammonia smell. I was talking about the fishy taste.
The only fish I will buy is salmon... since it's one of my favorites and I'd have to go across the country to catch it myself. Otherwise I prefer to catch it myself if I'm craving fish bc then I can oversee every step in the process, make sure the fish suffers as little as possible, and that the meat is as fresh as possible.

I eat fish whenever I can, very healthy for you. But 83.37% of the fish I eat are what I catch fish. The other 16.63% is what I eat at other peoples houses and parties. Mostly Salmon, and Halibut, and assorted Rockfish species. Nothing much FW wise. But I wouldn't even entertain the idea of eating any kind of aquarium species, that's just wrong. I joke about it, like if I see a foot long pleco, I might jokingly say "haha, look, that pleco there is big enough to fillet and fry!"

Lt. said:
I eat fish whenever I can, very healthy for you. But 83.37% of the fish I eat are what I catch fish. The other 16.63% is what I eat at other peoples houses and parties. Mostly Salmon, and Halibut, and assorted Rockfish species. Nothing much FW wise. But I wouldn't even entertain the idea of eating any kind of aquarium species, that's just wrong. I joke about it, like if I see a foot long pleco, I might jokingly say "haha, look, that pleco there is big enough to fillet and fry!"

Dang, I wish I lived near saltwater. I'm limited to like 4 main species of fish to catch and eat. In saltwater there's like a bajillion.

I don't live near the water, I just like to fish so I go on trips a lot in the summer. Alaska's full of rivers for salmon, lots of coastline for SW fishing. Oh, and lakes, streams, and rivers for trout, dolly vardin, and other good stuff.

That is true lots of fishing up there lol and lots of fish too i know from experience lol since ive worked in a salmon processing plant a few times theres plenty of fishing down here in washington lots of trout and salmon too if theres a good enough run plus much other kinds all good

I won't eat fish in front of my fish! Lol

It's okay, they eat fish in front of each other all the time. They'd probably want you to share, even.

I'm the same way about pet fish vs food fish. I can filet a fish i've caught with no problem but I couldn't imagine doing that to one of my aquarium fish.

This is something I'm learning to get over, though, in the event that I do end up growing food fish (aquaculture) at some point. It's no different than if you have farm animals that you eventually have to slaughter.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
It's okay, they eat fish in front of each other all the time. They'd probably want you to share, even.

I'm the same way about pet fish vs food fish. I can filet a fish i've caught with no problem but I couldn't imagine doing that to one of my aquarium fish.

This is something I'm learning to get over, though, in the event that I do end up growing food fish (aquaculture) at some point. It's no different than if you have farm animals that you eventually have to slaughter.

I think it would be awesome to have a nice hydroponics setup and grow veggies and raise some tilapia or something to eat at the same time.

jetajockey said:
That's the idea, its called aquaponics and it's been growing in popularity. Basically using fish waste to grow plants and using plants to clean fish water.

Ohh whoops. Hydroponics doesn't involve any fish does it. My mistake

Still food fish or pet fish, some are pets and you don't eat those and some are dinner.

I had raised two farm pigs, one for 4-H the other for our freezer. It was my first time raising pigs and they were a joy to raise. They were not pets, but they were not bad company some times.

The time came and I felt like a monster. Two animals that depended on me for life were now going to die. :-( I couldn't eat the meat of the one pig, it was to difficult for me. I told myself I would never do that again and buy my meat from the super market from now on. The next year I got two pigs again, and it was easier when you learn not to name your food. :p

I had raised two farm pigs, one for 4-H the other for our freezer. It was my first time raising pigs and they were a joy to raise. They were not pets, but they were not bad company some times.

The time came and I felt like a monster. Two animals that depended on me for life were now going to die. :-( I couldn't eat the meat of the one pig, it was to difficult for me. I told myself I would never do that again and buy my meat from the super market from now on. The next year I got two pigs again, and it was easier when you learn not to name your food. :p

No offense, but,(my sarcastic jokey tone is lost over the interwebs here) YOUR A SISSY! Ok, just kidding. But by buying meat at the store, your simply skipping the killing and butchering. That pig you couldn't bring yourself to eat was as much a living breathing thing as the pig(s) you eat the meat from at the store.

Lt. said:
No offense, but,(my sarcastic jokey tone is lost over the interwebs here) YOUR A SISSY! Ok, just kidding. But by buying meat at the store, your simply skipping the killing and butchering. That pig you couldn't bring yourself to eat was as much a living breathing thing as the pig(s) you eat the meat from at the store.

Yeah and at least you can give it a good life while you raise it. Lord knows the conditions the store pigs are kept in.

I don't think he's a sissy. I think he's kind. Not many people feel even a shred of guilt when slaughtering pigs.

Back
Top Bottom