Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #31
come get me tang police!

That's the idea, its called aquaponics and it's been growing in popularity. Basically using fish waste to grow plants and using plants to clean fish water.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
That's the idea, its called aquaponics and it's been growing in popularity. Basically using fish waste to grow plants and using plants to clean fish water.
Ohh whoops. Hydroponics doesn't involve any fish does it. My mistake

Old 12-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

The perfect doomsday kit.......................................z
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
It's okay, they eat fish in front of each other all the time. They'd probably want you to share, even.

I'm the same way about pet fish vs food fish. I can filet a fish i've caught with no problem but I couldn't imagine doing that to one of my aquarium fish.

This is something I'm learning to get over, though, in the event that I do end up growing food fish (aquaculture) at some point. It's no different than if you have farm animals that you eventually have to slaughter.
Still food fish or pet fish, some are pets and you don't eat those and some are dinner.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

Still food fish or pet fish, some are pets and you don't eat those and some are dinner.
Very true simply put
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had raised two farm pigs, one for 4-H the other for our freezer. It was my first time raising pigs and they were a joy to raise. They were not pets, but they were not bad company some times.

The time came and I felt like a monster. Two animals that depended on me for life were now going to die. :-( I couldn't eat the meat of the one pig, it was to difficult for me. I told myself I would never do that again and buy my meat from the super market from now on. The next year I got two pigs again, and it was easier when you learn not to name your food. :-p
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I had raised two farm pigs, one for 4-H the other for our freezer. It was my first time raising pigs and they were a joy to raise. They were not pets, but they were not bad company some times.

The time came and I felt like a monster. Two animals that depended on me for life were now going to die. :-( I couldn't eat the meat of the one pig, it was to difficult for me. I told myself I would never do that again and buy my meat from the super market from now on. The next year I got two pigs again, and it was easier when you learn not to name your food. :-p
No offense, but,(my sarcastic jokey tone is lost over the interwebs here) YOUR A SISSY! Ok, just kidding. But by buying meat at the store, your simply skipping the killing and butchering. That pig you couldn't bring yourself to eat was as much a living breathing thing as the pig(s) you eat the meat from at the store.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.

No offense, but,(my sarcastic jokey tone is lost over the interwebs here) YOUR A SISSY! Ok, just kidding. But by buying meat at the store, your simply skipping the killing and butchering. That pig you couldn't bring yourself to eat was as much a living breathing thing as the pig(s) you eat the meat from at the store.
Yeah and at least you can give it a good life while you raise it. Lord knows the conditions the store pigs are kept in.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #39

I've thought about it too, but honestly I'm a big seafood fan and I cannot live without tuna.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
I don't think he's a sissy. I think he's kind. Not many people feel even a shred of guilt when slaughtering pigs.

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com