Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It would be really helpful if you could provide the scientific names of each species. Some of the common names you provide do not indicate which species is represented, while others may potentially mislead because they may be applied to completely unrelated fishes (e.g., "lionfish"). Thanks for posting it, though. I enjoyed seeing the various responses.

Tony

Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gill View Post
It would be really helpful if you could provide the scientific names of each species. Some of the common names you provide do not indicate which species is represented, while others may potentially mislead because they may be applied to completely unrelated fishes (e.g., "lionfish"). Thanks for posting it, though. I enjoyed seeing the various responses.

Tony
That's why its marked as hard You have to guess the names just from the picture. And it is up to everyone else to guess the names and seeing as they all guessed the common names the scientific ones would not have mattered and its probable that if people know what these fish were they most likely know both common and scientific names for some however common names may only be known. Plus these are all freshwater when you look up freshwater lion fish you will come up with the one here.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry, but I don't get your point. Common names are not universally used, and are often simply made up by suppliers or aquarium stores. The photos are taken from various websites, which I presume provided scientific names. I think it would add a lot of value to readers if you passed that information on. In any case, providing vague names such as "lungfish" makes the game easier not harder. There are three genera of extant lungfishes in three different continents (my guess is yours is an African lungfish - Protopterus). Similarly, there are freshwater needlefish species in several different parts of the world (my guess is yours is an Asian species, Xenentodon cancilla), numerous freshwater pipefish species (yours looks to be Hippichthys spicifer), several un-related species of freshwater blennies (yours looks like Omobranchus zebra), and the name water cow has been applied to at least two different genera of sleepers (gudgeons) (yours appears to be Eleotris picta).

Tony
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't get your point. Common names are not universally used, and are often simply made up by suppliers or aquarium stores. The photos are taken from various websites, which I presume provided scientific names. I think it would add a lot of value to readers if you passed that information on. In any case, providing vague names such as "lungfish" makes the game easier not harder. There are three genera of extant lungfishes in three different continents (my guess is yours is an African lungfish - Protopterus). Similarly, there are freshwater needlefish species in several different parts of the world (my guess is yours is an Asian species, Xenentodon cancilla), numerous freshwater pipefish species (yours looks to be Hippichthys spicifer), several un-related species of freshwater blennies (yours looks like Omobranchus zebra), and the name water cow has been applied to at least two different genera of sleepers (gudgeons) (yours appears to be Eleotris picta).

Tony
Im not asking anyone to be specific am i? i just want them to guess what the fish are from the pictures provided did you not read everyone else's answers do you see any scientific names. Hardly so why would i provide scientific names when no one used them?

And i do know about there being different species from different locations i own a heck of alot of fish (including "lungfish") so please do not try to ridicule me and my efforts to make a fun "game" for anyone to play! And that exactly what this is a GAME nothing more nothing less no science involved in it this is nothing serious Its all for fun.....your taking it too serious like its a real test or something and Its not if you don't enjoy games don't play em!

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry I offended you. I enjoyed your game. I was just suggesting that it would be helpful to provide more information. I am sure there are people that would like to know the extra bit.

Tony
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I'm sorry I offended you. I enjoyed your game. I was just suggesting that it would be helpful to provide more information. I am sure there are people that would like to know the extra bit.

Tony
Sorry i apologize i had thought you were being a party pooper haha but yes i see what you mean if i make another i will try to include scientific names for each
Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No worries. I'm looking forward to seeing the next game.

Tony

Tags
i.d

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com