I.D that fish game ( hard)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is the tough one guys lets see what u got!

Aristochromis_christyi4.jpeg

Crenincichla-sp.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130403_174609.jpg

clarias_batrachus.jpeg

40161.jpeg

39361.jpeg

39153.jpeg

38631.jpeg

tumblr_m4etecxqgL1rprj1yo1_500.jpeg

tumblr_miw9rveQ7I1r5n27ro1_400.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130403_174745.jpg

mal-banner-2.jpg

chinese-banded-shark-profile.jpeg

giant-featherback-profile.jpeg

WidebarDatnoid1.jpeg

38991.jpg

39387.jpeg

40245.jpeg

i-cd800fed5a8abd8fa7e467c1ac3c055e-Typhlonectes with its mouth open.jpeg

40766.jpeg

zebra-cichlid-profile.jpeg

39143.jpeg

39003.jpeg

41325.jpeg

39463.jpeg

40040.jpeg

47245.jpeg

black-arowana-profile.jpeg

peacock-bass-profile.jpeg

39063.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130403_175314.jpg

47595.jpeg

40303.jpeg

honeycomb-tatia-profile.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130403_175407.jpg

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 39661.jpeg
    39661.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 170
List kinda got screwed up guys sorry if you can though try and add the ones that aren't numbered maybe do them last.

1 horseface loach?
9 motoro ray?
11 hi fin banded shark
13 datnoid
18 baby whale
21freswater barracuda
22 hogchoker
23 double tail hybrid
26 arowana
31 fahaka
32 honeycomb catfish

I know number nine is a spoonbill I have caught them before there related to wale sharks

Number 28 is a peacock bass

Number 27 is a arowana not sure how to spell it

23 is a flounder

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's not a marbled goby (Oxyeleotris marmoratus). The markings are similar, but not quite right. My guess is an Eleotris, most likely E. picta.

I won't comment on the others, but suggest that you might want to change the file names on the images, as some of them give the species names!

Tony

Ok, I do not know all of these, and I am too lazy to look up for latin for all of them. I am also going to ignore the unnumbered ones until last. But, here goes:

1. Giraffe catfish?
2. Albino walking catfish?
3. Needlenose gar
4. ?
5. Vampire tetra (payara)
6. ?
7. White dragon knife
8. Paddlefish
9. Polkadot Stingray
10. Lungfish
11. Hi-fin banded shark
12. Platinum knife fish (aka giant featherback)
13. Datnoid
14. Vampire tetra (payara)?
15. Dragon goby
16. FW Pipefish
17. Caecilian (amphibian, NOT fish)
18. Black whale (electric fish)
19. Tilapia
20. Red-tailed chalceus
21. Red-tailed Barracuda
22. Hog choker
23. Elephant nose
24. FW Lionfish
25. Mudskipper
26. Silver arrowana
27. Peacock bass
28. Need side view
29. Rainbow snakehead
30. Hog choker
31. Fahaka puffer
32. Honeycomb catfish
33. ?

Answers:
1.giraffe catfish
2.clarius catfish
3.needle fish
4. FW dolphin
5.vampire tetra
6.FW blenny
7.white ghost knife
8.paddle fish
9.white spot river stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi)
10.lungfish
11.high finned black banded shark
12.giant feather back
13.tiger datnoid
14.sabre tusked baracuda
15.bearded worm goby
16.pipe fish
17.rubber band eel (trick question its really an amphibian)
18.baby whale fish
19.buttikoferi
20.pink chalceus
21.red tailed baracuda
22.south American flounder
23.donkey faced elephant nose fish
24.lionfish
25.African mudskipper
26.silver arowanna
27.peacock bass
28.butis butis crocodile fish
29.rainbow snakehead
30.tongue fish
31.tetradon lineatus fahaka puffer
32.honey comb catfish, oil catfish
33.true parrot cichlid
34.Aristochromis christyi
attachment-4.jpeg
35. Crenincichla*sp. “Botox”*
attachment-3.jpeg
36.amazon leaffish
attachment-2.jpeg
37.water cow goby
attachment-1.jpeg

It would be really helpful if you could provide the scientific names of each species. Some of the common names you provide do not indicate which species is represented, while others may potentially mislead because they may be applied to completely unrelated fishes (e.g., "lionfish"). Thanks for posting it, though. I enjoyed seeing the various responses.

Tony

It would be really helpful if you could provide the scientific names of each species. Some of the common names you provide do not indicate which species is represented, while others may potentially mislead because they may be applied to completely unrelated fishes (e.g., "lionfish"). Thanks for posting it, though. I enjoyed seeing the various responses.

Tony

That's why its marked as hard :) You have to guess the names just from the picture. And it is up to everyone else to guess the names and seeing as they all guessed the common names the scientific ones would not have mattered and its probable that if people know what these fish were they most likely know both common and scientific names for some however common names may only be known. Plus these are all freshwater when you look up freshwater lion fish you will come up with the one here.

I'm sorry, but I don't get your point. Common names are not universally used, and are often simply made up by suppliers or aquarium stores. The photos are taken from various websites, which I presume provided scientific names. I think it would add a lot of value to readers if you passed that information on. In any case, providing vague names such as "lungfish" makes the game easier not harder. There are three genera of extant lungfishes in three different continents (my guess is yours is an African lungfish - Protopterus). Similarly, there are freshwater needlefish species in several different parts of the world (my guess is yours is an Asian species, Xenentodon cancilla), numerous freshwater pipefish species (yours looks to be Hippichthys spicifer), several un-related species of freshwater blennies (yours looks like Omobranchus zebra), and the name water cow has been applied to at least two different genera of sleepers (gudgeons) (yours appears to be Eleotris picta).

Tony

I'm sorry, but I don't get your point. Common names are not universally used, and are often simply made up by suppliers or aquarium stores. The photos are taken from various websites, which I presume provided scientific names. I think it would add a lot of value to readers if you passed that information on. In any case, providing vague names such as "lungfish" makes the game easier not harder. There are three genera of extant lungfishes in three different continents (my guess is yours is an African lungfish - Protopterus). Similarly, there are freshwater needlefish species in several different parts of the world (my guess is yours is an Asian species, Xenentodon cancilla), numerous freshwater pipefish species (yours looks to be Hippichthys spicifer), several un-related species of freshwater blennies (yours looks like Omobranchus zebra), and the name water cow has been applied to at least two different genera of sleepers (gudgeons) (yours appears to be Eleotris picta).

Tony

Im not asking anyone to be specific am i? i just want them to guess what the fish are from the pictures provided did you not read everyone else's answers do you see any scientific names. Hardly so why would i provide scientific names when no one used them?

And i do know about there being different species from different locations i own a heck of alot of fish (including "lungfish") so please do not try to ridicule me and my efforts to make a fun "game" for anyone to play! And that exactly what this is a GAME nothing more nothing less no science involved in it this is nothing serious Its all for fun.....your taking it too serious like its a real test or something and Its not if you don't enjoy games don't play em!

Thanks

I'm sorry I offended you. I enjoyed your game. I was just suggesting that it would be helpful to provide more information. I am sure there are people that would like to know the extra bit.

Tony

I'm sorry I offended you. I enjoyed your game. I was just suggesting that it would be helpful to provide more information. I am sure there are people that would like to know the extra bit.

Tony

Sorry i apologize i had thought you were being a party pooper haha but yes i see what you mean if i make another i will try to include scientific names for each

Back
Top Bottom