Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I Decided What I Want for my 50gal....

As I already posted here, I bought a 50 gal. tank a while ago, and wanted to get a Red-Eared Slider but I decided that I wasn't ready to get a 140 gal. tank, just to keep 1 turtle!! So I looked around and decided to get a Bearded Dragon, I have the set-up almost complete, im just missing a background, a Reptisun 10.0 light strip(which is $40!! 8O ), a cricket keeper, and of course pellet food...Plus the Bearded Dragon itself which cost around $50...I figure ill have everything in a 1-2 weeks, ill post pixs, when I have everything ready....heres some pixs of the tank when I got it... http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Terrarium4.jpg http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Terrarium3.jpg http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Terrarium2.jpg http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q.../Terrarium.jpg

Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I love bearded dragons! They are excellent pets IMO. Congrats.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I saw a fully grown pair at a reptile store, and they were pretty funny...They would not leave their owner set them down in their tanks(Spoiled brats), and also didnt let anyone else touch them...They had quite a attitude...I also saw that the female had recently layed eggs (were already hatched) so I decided to 'reserve' one, so it will be ready to come home in around 3 weeks....
Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

it looks awesome so far..My 55 gallon went to our ball python

Just a few tips to make setting up for a reptile cheaper.. HOME DEPOT. You can buy lights for a LOT cheaper at home depot and they make reptile lights there too that are a lot cheaper than the pet store. (im thinking i spent around 5-10 bucks on them) Also i use ceramic pots for hides instead of paying for the expensive hide boxes at the pet stores... I think the most expensive part of my setup is the under tank heater.. lol. Just go to homedepot and wander around the garden section... you'll be amazed at what you can find for your aquariums there for a lot less $$$ and it looks natural too.

(Also i would suggest.. just from personal experience.. repticarpet. Some people hate it, some people love it. I have two peices for each of my snake cages and once a week i take the old one out and throw it in the washing machine with some soap and bleach and then put the clean pieces in... keeps the cage a lot cleaner and more sterile)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaa_s_house_resized_113.jpg (81.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercup
it looks awesome so far..My 55 gallon went to our ball python

Just a few tips to make setting up for a reptile cheaper.. HOME DEPOT. You can buy lights for a LOT cheaper at home depot and they make reptile lights there too that are a lot cheaper than the pet store. (im thinking i spent around 5-10 bucks on them) Also i use ceramic pots for hides instead of paying for the expensive hide boxes at the pet stores... I think the most expensive part of my setup is the under tank heater.. lol. Just go to homedepot and wander around the garden section... you'll be amazed at what you can find for your aquariums there for a lot less $$$ and it looks natural too.

(Also i would suggest.. just from personal experience.. repticarpet. Some people hate it, some people love it. I have two peices for each of my snake cages and once a week i take the old one out and throw it in the washing machine with some soap and bleach and then put the clean pieces in... keeps the cage a lot cleaner and more sterile)
Yeah, I got everything brand new, from Home Depot...I just need to buy the Uva/uvb light bulb, and since the tank already came with some stuff I didnt have to buy so many hides and other stuff, Altough I did get a reptile hammock (for only eight bucks), Reptile Carpet for ($15), and a digital thermometer/hygrometer w/a Probe, from a reptile store....And I just went outside and got some tree branches, (I boiled them and washed A LOT first)....So I guess itsnt that expensive if you get creative...But thanks for the heads up...And nice tank and ball python by the way...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I love my beardeds, they are GREAT!
Here are mine and their tank...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bds_141.jpg (86.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg bdtank_870.jpg (78.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh yes i love my digital thermometer.. they are the greatest... i got all mine for pretty cheap online.

Hara.. that picture of the two of them is soo cute! and the viv is awesome looking
Old 03-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I love my beardeds, they are GREAT!
Here are mine and their tank...
Wow, great Dragons! How old are they? and how big is that tank??...
Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's my little baby.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
One is 5 months and the other is 6 months...last measuring, they were 12 and 13 inches respectively.

The tank is a 55 gallon.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com